marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Pardon my ignorance on this subject as i have never owned any,
can i use a N2 bottle to run a air impact wrench?i have a regulator to reduce pressures from 0-150psi, i know its sounds silly but i have a free supply of N2 and no compressor(also dont want the bulk of a compressor).thanks for any advice.

B

biglou

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why not. We used to use oil-free nitrogen for inflating tires on aircraft. I would think that a regulated N2 supply might have less corrosives and contaminants than what an air compressor would put out (without a filtering, drying and oiling system).

Shoot a dash of air tool oil into that wrench each day that you use it and periodically throughout the day if you are using it extensively. :)

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I agree with Big Lou. I know of a few guys at the local race track in your same position that have no problems with impact guns, air ratchets, shears, etc. Just keep 'em oiled!

dirtbikedad

Mar 24, 2001
Its common practice around the National Hare and Hound racing circuit. Many mechanics use this arrangement for removing fork base valves with the fork is still on the bike. The problem is the N2 bottles don't last very long when you use a high volume tool such as an impact wrench.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
DBD thats excatly the use i had in mind-removing base valves, the volume would only be 1-3 pair a week so i dont see a problem.I will give it a go. :)

Top Bottom