Just ordered my WER damper!!!

dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
Any of you guys run a WER damper? I'm going to a cross country race at Barnwell MT. in Gilmer TX, I ride there a good bit but the rocks(big, little, loose, solid, sharp, EVERYWHERE rocks) scare me silly. The faster I go the worse my front tire tries to deflect me into the closest sharp rock.
Can you set it to get really good results in the rocks and still ride easily in the woods? Thats my biggest concern.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I have a WER and had it on my KDX. Hope you got the head light mount kit for the KDX too. After mounting try about 1 turn out. Too much and you'll tire out quicker. I did at first. It takes a little getting used to at first because the steering is more hydraulic and just works you a little harder but you get used to it and will like how it helps you from getting the bars knocked out of your hands.

dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
Thanks Fred T, I did buy the headlight mount too. I plan on keeping this bike and I wanted it to be right.
When you set it in one spot, such as one turn out, does it maintain the same feel for a long period of time, or do you have to readjust alot?

Any other opinions out there before I mount this thing and get a very short trial period before the next race?

Gotta go to work, talk to ya'll sometime Wednesday!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Drill a hole to mount it. Use the existing hole (the big one) and you won't be able to get the rod straight. Close...but not straight.

Make sure the damper is in the middle of its travel with the forks straight ahead. Ensure the damper limit isn't reached before the fork stops.

You may be adjusting it from time to time. It isn't that tough to do on-the-fly. Not while in the middle of some 30º uphill nasty for sure, but with a quick reach around you can change it easily enough. Not something you do often.

Use the spacers to clear the kdx fender.

It does take a bit of getting used to. Things feel 'funny' for awhile.

I've settled into 3/4 to 1 turn out.

Scotts is putting their damper 'down under' now instead of up by the handlebars. When they get around to making such a kit for the kdx, I might consider one. The two different damping circuits (hi and lo speed) seem a good advantage.

Still, the wer has saved my derriere. Haven't gotten around to it yet, but I've gotta disconnect it to get a quick feel for 'the way it used to be.' Bet I'll be scared spitless.

Thanks honey! (mine what bought me one ;) )

Have fun!!

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I just got my WER about a month ago. It is alittle wierd at first. But I can already tell a difference. I'm going to like it a lot.

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
I think I'm gonna send mine back and have them replace it.

First of all, it seems it only works when the bars turn one way. With the bike on a stand, and the damper set to the fullest setting, I can only feel the damping action when I turn the bars to the right. Secondly, I rode all last weekend with the screw a half turn out (from full in) and couldn't even tell the thing was on.

I'm quickly approaching the end of the 90 day warranty and I'd like to send it in before it expires. I called WER when I first got the unit and the guy said to give it some time. He also said that the "test" I was applying was not a "real world" application since it was on stand.

This past weekend I rode with a bunch of guys on KTMs with the Scotts set up. After checking out the WER unit on my bike, they said it was a peice of @#!$%! I've heard nothing but good things about the WER from people on this forum...I think I got a lemon.

Another thing, with my WER on the fullest setting, the guys with the Scotts said the damping action (toward the only side that it works) was not even equal to the setting that they ride with on their Scotts.

Bumming,
Chuck

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
ChuckyBoy,

Something is not right if you can only feel damping on one side with the bike on the stand, especially with the screw turned all the way in. It is and should be noticeable flicking the handlebars back and forth with the front wheel off the ground.

I'm assuming that unit was installed properly, and that the steering locks are hit well before the WER reaches it's internal limit. If the bike was ridden at all with the WER hitting it's internal limits, it may have messed up the unit.

As far as the adjustment, it's going to depend on your speed, and how tight/twisty the trail is. At high-speed, balls out straightaways, you could probably run at 0-1/2 a turn out. In super tight, twisty, 1st-2nd gear stuff, you probably want to run 1-1.5 turns out. If I set the screw all the way in (most damping), I'd have a real hard time moving the bars back and forth in the slow twisty stuff. I can't imagine riding slow at the full setting. It would wear you out, and be a little dangerous because you'd not be able to flick the bars back and forth as quickly as you'd need to.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The scotts has both low and high speed damping circuits. With it set so you can't feel a thing it seems to have more damping effect at speed than the wer does when it's cranked down far enough that it is easy to feel...which is too far.

At least that's the way it seemed with my 'scientific' buttest on a 200exc. It's the up-top mounting of the scotts that's bogus..especially on a kdx.

dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
Thanks for the good info. I should get mine tomorrow(thursday), do they come with good instructions? If not, is it easy to set it up for the steering stops to work properly?

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I dunno, but let me know what you think of that bad boy! I wish/ can't wait to have the money to buy one. I love hopin up my bike.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Instructions are fine.

Still a good idea to check after you're done to make sure the fork stops happen before the travel limits of the damper.

imo.....

dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
Next question- those of you that said it felt funny at first and recommended about 1 turn out, are you saying set it on the light side until I get used to it? The reason I ask is that I was really hoping to get the "less fatique" that WER advertises, but from the sound of it I may be working harder!
I don't mind easing into it if thats what it takes, but I also don't want it to be stiff.
Just think-by next week I'll be an opinionated expert that all of ya'll will get to listen to! (And no, I'm not referring to anyone other than my opinionated self! I just know me pretty well.)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I don't think it's so much a matter of getting used to it as it is a matter of adjusting it to suit your riding style, speed, and conditions.

Spend a few hours over various terrain and speed playing with different adjustments. You'll soon find the sweet spot. Don't sweat it - just ride and play with it.

Last edited:

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
dmcc - Don't worry, if ya don't like it I will take it off your hands for free. Hell, I'll even pay shipping, can't beat that :)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You won't be 'working harder' unless you have it set too stiff and are trying to muscle it around.....and that's too stiff.

The 'get used to' part is no big deal. Set it to '1' and go riding.

re: 'just ride and play with it'

There 'ya go.

There's always limitless' unselfish, sacrificing willingness to help out! ;)

What a guy!!

dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
Thanks again guys. Hopefully my second day air shipping will show up early tomorrow so I'll have plenty of "play time"!

Limitless, Ive thought about it, and if i don't like it I'll take you up on that offer.......but shipping's gonna run you about $350!

I will let you know how it goes. I want to go faster, but I also want to ride safer and keep up a good smooth pace for a lot longer time(all that adds up to faster, doesn't it).
See ya!!!

spikes

Jul 12, 2002
I`ve never seen a KDX with a steering damper yet, mostly all KTM`s, but it sounds like there are quite a few on this site. Can one of you guys put some pic`s of the wer setup on the web and... how mutch are you paying for these things?
Thanx.
Cheers.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Check my picture page at the bottom of this post for a WER setup on a KDX. The picture with the red arrows shows how another DRN member, ChuckyBoy, relocated his headlight without using the "official" WER headlight relocating kit.

Do a search on this forum for more info on the WER and ChuckyBoy's setup. You'll finds lots of good info and advice.

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Smit-Dog,

Great pic's! I'm about to install my WER. CC says in one of his posts don't use the big hole, you won't get it straight, drill a hole instead. I'm not trying to start an argument, just wondered because it looks like you went through the big hole in the frame and your setup looks pretty good. I would just as soon not drill a hole in my frame if I don't have to. What's your take on it.

Thanks,

Tom

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
With over 20,000 members, there's bound to be more than one opinion! As with any of the advice, information, and opinions on this site, do your research, and come to your own conclusions as to what's best for you.

... IMHO, and all!

With that said, I think that the big hole worked out great for the WER installation. I have a 2002 model, so can't confirm or deny that the hole location/size on other model years is the same.

Is the plane of the actuating arm within +/- 1° of the plane of the damper unit? No. But then again drilling a hole might not get you any closer than I am already. That's why WER gives you different size spacing washers. Gives you some leeway in placing the frame bracket. I did not want to drill a hole in the frame more than I felt the alignment needed to be closer than it already was. The ball/socket design of the actuating arm also gives you some leeway as well.

Look at the pictures. Not sure if ChuckyBoy used the existing hole, but his looks well-positioned.

Good luck!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Only +/- 1º?

As determined by my Seavey 3508SC transit, upgraded with latest SatComVI topographic info, I know my wer arm to be absolutely straight!

It's not that big a deal. But then, I also spent hours forming, shaping, drilling and fabricating a mount for the denton stabilizer I got my wife for her warrior from a combination of .120 moly and phenolic plate...so the arm would be straight.

Picky? Me? Ha! I've had my rear fender held on with ty-wraps for months!! Even with new ty-wraps after I looped off the first set (my new rear fender still sits in my 'spares' box).

Whatever suits you tickles me. I prefer straight to not. In the end it likely matters not a whit.

.Of course...that first statement could be complete and udder bovine excrement! ;)

**Edit**
This just in from the scottsonline sales staff (jake):
I am sorry but we do not have a lower mount for this (kdx) bike.

Last edited:

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Hi Guys,

I did indeed use the hole in the frame to mount the frame bracket - no drilling. Despite that, I was able to get the link arm virtually parallel to the unit itself...just like the drawing in the maual. I used all four of the supplied spacers to accomplish this. I used one thin spacer and one thick spacer BELOW the "wing" on the frame bracket and one thick and one thin spacer ABOVE the crank arm. Like I said, this arrangement achieved a link arm that is parallel with the WER unit.

Parallel is better than horizontal right?

Smit-Dog and CC, regarding the probelms with my WER, I checked to make sure that the steering stops were doing they're job as oppsed to the WER doing it for them. Everything checked out fine. I'll be sending my WER back this weekend for a rebuild or replacement.

Later,
Chuck

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
I just got done mounting my WER damper, it went on like a dream! I ended up using the big hole in the frame and I didn't even have to use all the spacers to get the link arm level. Can't wait to check it out this weekend! I love do mods on my bikes :thumb:

Top Bottom