woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Sunday afternoon I was sitting in the corner of the bosses garage, having just had my tranny oil changed and UNI filter cleaned, I was listening to him (Woodsy) listen to a song on “oldies fm” that went like this: get your motor runnin, head on down the highway, lookin for adventure, or what EVER comes our way…..” . Woodsy was singing along with the song and when it came to the part where the song said “bornnnn to be wil..ildd” he point at me and started laughing…
I didn’t really understand the full meaning of what he did until Monday’s ride. Let me explain..
About 9:20 am on Monday, Woodsy walks back in the garage and says “come on Kadie, lets go play in the muck”. We strolled out of the garage into the rain and he loaded me into the back of that trusty ol blue GMC van and away we went.. We arrived at Wesco in Fremont and waited there for 2 of his friends.. As usual, Larry was about 15 minutes behind. A new rider, who rides a real pretty little KDX, came in about 3 minutes later.. I heard Woodsy mumble something about the new guy already picking up Larry’s bad habits and then he laughed..
I felt sorry for the other bikes (a COCKY CR250 and that pretty little KDX) as it was obvious to me that they had a harder life being stuck out in the cold, wet rainy weather while I was sitting inside with the rear heat of the Jimmy blowing on my back.. OK, I admit it, I am spoiled.
After a VERY short discussion we headed “up north” for breakfast. I watched out the window of the van as rain drops went flying by my windows while leading the pack to the restaurant. We pulled into “DANIELS” around 9:45 and “the boys” went inside for food.. I stayed inside the van and made faces at the Honda on the trailer beside me. I knew Larry’s CR from past rides and knew that she was cocky so I kind of teased her a little. The KDX had no idea that I was even there cause the van windows on the Jimmy are dark and you REALLY have to look closely to know whether or not I am inside. This went on for about 45 minutes before the boys returned.
I over heard a discussion between the riders about checking for “2 big” and then driving further north to escape the pouring rain.. That is exactly what we did..
Not to far from Whiskey Creek (I would say about 2 miles east of it) the Big “O” crosses a paved road. There is a “gravel pit” on the west side of the road – across from where the trail goes back into the woods.. As we pulled into the area Woodsy said something to me about having “out run the rain” and he was VERY happy!!
We parked on this corner, the boys got their gear on, Woodsy unloaded me and the skys opened up :think:
I was sitting there idling, leaned against the van as Woodsy was describing to the others how whimpy they were because they were obviously not thrilled about the weather.. Everyone climbed on their machines and away we went..
Well, almost everyone. As it turned out, that pretty little green KDX had developed an attitude and decided she was having second thoughts about starting cold.. Larry said something to Pete (the guy who owned the KDX) about letting Woodsy try as he is the “Kawy Guru” (Larry’s word choice). Woodsy put my kick stand down and walked over to the KDX, he came back to me a second later and was laughing because Pete had forgotten to lift the choke knob on the KDX :) She started 2nd kick after that… Woodsy told me as we were pulling out that he thought it was a last ditch effort on Pete’s part to spoil a perfectly good ride day (Woodsy can be kind of a sicko).
Woodsy led the pack off toward the single track going south. Larry made a comment about going the wrong way already but Woodsy told him that he wanted to ride this REALLY cool section of tight single trail before heading father north and away we went…
The ground was wet, the leaves were all down and the roots/rocks were hidden.. Another PERFECT trail!!
The new front tire that Woodsy had put on me was REALLY working well. It is a “clone” 752, I have ALWAYS favored the Dunlop but they have gotten hard to find so Woodsy decided to try a CHEAP version of that favored tire. I must say, NOT BAD!! The 752 on my backside is getting down there so “leaf WADDING” became an issue that Woodsy had to compensate for during breaking. A QUICK slide on an early corner and he had it down pat! Just about the time that little section of single track was done and I was just starting to get a BIG grin on my face!! Woodsy and I waited a couple seconds for the others to get to the corner and we turned around and headed back north..
We went back past the cars and in a very short time we were at Whiskey. We went in and checked for campers that we might know (Larry asked Woodsy where he was going and Woodsy said that he wanted to check and see if any DRN/MTR folks were around – he said that he knew a few other “HARD CORE” people in that group that weren’t afraid of cold rain). No one was there so we headed north again..
A couple miles out of Whiskey on the North bound “O” is a fairly good sized mud hole that is ALWAYS there.. This time, because of the TONS of water we had gotten, the trenches were WAY full. Woodsy chose this spot to head out on the 2 tracks to pick his way north.. We were having a RIOT rippin thru the forest, me with Woodsy on my back just having at it!!! We rode for about 30 minutes when we pulled into an opening and we stopped.. When Larry pulled up Woodsy yelled thru the rain drops to him “does this opening look familiar??”. Larry shook his head no and Woodsy said follow me.. We went around a hill and some trailers at Whiskey appeared.
Of course, a roar broke out from the soaked other two riders who were following us.. I personally got a bigger kick out of the roost that I threw on those guys as we re-entered the woods.
At the first corner we came to Larry revved his motor (signaling a stop). He pointed out to Woodsy that we probably should try a different trail and made mention of a trail that he remembered from Rites of Spring 3 years ago (Woodsy laughed because usually Larry cant remember where his keys are – much less something that happened 3 years ago) Woodsy said, “what trail?”, Larry said “the trail where you and I kicked those young guys butts on the YZ’s ”, Woodsy smiled and said “oh yea, now I remember” ;)
At this time I should have been at least a little suspicious of the potential of another “great Woodsy adventure” unfolding before my very eyes. Of course, I am a dirtbike so it wouldn’t have mattered anyway as I was having the time of my life!!
Woodsy told Larry to “lead on”. Larry said “I am not real sure of the trails exact location”. Woodsy said “and your point is??”… As we headed back into the woods, I looked back and noticed Petes head waggin back and forth in total disbelief of the whole situation.. I laughed so hard I thought I would spooge....
Larry took off on the trails marked by small square white markers and after a ways headed back out on the two tracks.. We rode up and down some AWESOME rock filled valleys, some FANTASTIC root infested (we are talking SLIPPERY) section of no mans land (notice I didn’t say NO BIKE LAND) and came out of the woods in EXACLTY the spot that Woodsy led us to an hour before hand – right behind Whiskey Creek :rotfl:
This time Larry looked at Woodsy and started laughing… Of course the “new” rider failed to see the real irony in the whole deal but my boss certainly did… All of a sudden Woodsy said “hey, there’s a trail we haven’t followed yet, lets try that way” so off we went again…
Anyone familiar with the Whiskey area may know where all this happened at.. There is a REAL long section of fenced in area that we kept coming down to. If you turn left along the fence it comes out at the back side of Whiskey Creek. This time Woodsy turned right and we came out on a paved road after about 2 miles of 2 track… At this point Woodsy turned left on the pavement (west) thinking he could grab the next northerly two track and head “up north”..
All of a sudden Larry pulls up beside us and signals us to stop.. We pulled off the pavement and Larry says “did you see that dead raccoon in the road back there??”.. Woodsy says “ya why??”.. Larry says “because I swear that I remember seeing that same raccoon on our way driving “up north” in the cars - that means we are going the wrong way” Woodsy said “are you sure it’s the same coon??” Larry said “ya, unless there is another squished raccoon on a road somewhere with the same expression on its face”… We then turned around and headed back in the other direction..
On the trip back home in the van Woodsy started laughing hysterically at Larry’s comment when he realized that we were actually on a totally different road then Larry had thought we were on meaning that there were two different raccoons squished on the roads up north with the same look on their faces…
Back to our ride.... As we followed the pavement we came out at the Northern Entrance to Whiskey Creek :worship:
Larry pointed to the single track running along side the pavement across the road from the gravel road that serves as this entrance.. Woodsy nodded a healthy YES and away we went – riding the single trail “up north” in the pouring rain!! Good friends, good times and GREAT fun!!!!!!!!!
Within a very short time one of us (not me or Woodsy) got cold and we had to head in with only 70 miles clocked.. When we got back to the cars Woodsy and I went back out on that PERFECT section of single trail that he and I love so well… Funny thing was that neither of those other yahoos chose to follow us out – perhaps they were not “born to be wildddddd” like Wodsy says I am.. Within a half hour we were back to the van – COLD, WET and HAPPY!!! And that my friends was the saddest part of that VERY rainy, VERY cold, PERFECT DAY OF BIKING!!!!

Gotta go, Woodsy’s home…
Kadie

Last edited:

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
KADIE - Sneak into the house more often. I enjoy your writing better than that of your boss.

Your Compadre, INCA

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Why of course you do Inca... We have alot in common - we are both SPOILED rotten with our bosses hauling us inside with them, we both have our NAMES pasted right up front, both of our bosses KNOW that we are much more then metal peices bolted together to form a mechanical object - WE represent FREEDOM to those lucky suckers who ride on our backs...
Thanks for the vote of confidence :p
Kadie :ride:
Oh yea, has your boss got you ready for the 8th yet???

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
and came out of the woods in EXACLTY the spot that Woodsy led us to an hour before hand – right behind Whiskey Creek....This time Larry looked at Woodsy and started laughing… Of course the “new” rider failed to see the real irony in the whole deal

Why does this sound familiar to me. Like a certain Boon Run. The rest of the pack starting to worry about the leaders trail worthyness while Larry and I just shake out heads and smile. All part of the Woodsy experiance. :cool:

I was smiling the whole time I read that. Sorry I missed it. Even the thought of riding in the rain brought a smile to my face :) Been doing it for the last 3 weeks. No big deal.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Thanks for bringing up "that Boon run" Don...
I just spoke to Randy about this coming Monday's ride and we are going for broke!!!! Tying all the loose ends together and going from White CLoud to Boon via the back way into Caberfe' thru Wellston is on the agenda for the 8th.. According to the weather man it is suppose to be rainy again and I have 2 fresh squirrels in the freezer :rotfl:
I am a little concerned about Randy though because when I told him about last Mondays "stuck in Whiskey Creek ride" he said "see, you REALLY needed my guide service".. I think he is about to be humbled and if there is one thing that I cant stand its to be around people who are about to be humbled :laugh: Their "humbling experience" usually involves things like breaking chains, running out of gas or spending the night in the woods without a fire (aint nothing worse then "non burnt - burnt squirrel" :thumb:
Another Woodsy Adventure is in the makings folks!!!!!
Woodsy

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
B…double…O….N….R..U…N……Boon run…..

B…double…O….N….R..U…N…… Boooonnnn….Ruuuunnnn…

All we need is a few bikers to ride

A map and a compass and a woodsy rider

B…double…O….N….R..U…N……it’s a Boon….Ruuuunnnn…

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
SKIPPY - I was supposed to be asleep under the cover but a few words were said that tells me if our bosses make it to the Boon area Monday, they just may be called rotten suckers once more. Something could be up, but have no idea right now.

Ready to go, INCA

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Dog gone right there INCA!! I will be glad to see something... ANYTHING beyond Whiskey Creek :rotfl:
Here I set READY AND RARING to go too!!! Sure hope that goofy Woodsy is able to get up Monday :laugh:
Kadie :ride:

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
KADIE - A little restraint there. Goofy is a character and Woodsy is too. However they are of different types and should not be joined together in that manner. As for him getting up, my boss will see to that. There won't be any problem though.

Get set, you green rooster, INCA

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
So true there INCA - he is awefully good to me... ;)
Randy called and it sounds like we have another Red Rider going on Monday.. Its one of those XR650 guys that you and the the "Master Of The Trails" havent ridden with yet..
Guess what, Woodsy pulled my pipe and checked my Kips yesterday - he said something about that 32:1 mix and proper jetting REALLY doing its job - MAN DO I FEEL GOOD :yeehaw:
That Woodsy also said something about it being just about time for anothe rear tire - I have been eye balling that tire he bought from your boss and am just about ready :worship:
C ya soon good buddy :cool:
KADIE

Top Bottom