88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
Do any of you have an 88 KDX 200. I saw somewhere that they sold a computer which showed MPH, distance traveled, time and stuff like that. Anyone ever see anything like this or a speedometer that will hook up to my KDX.
Thanks

donh

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 20, 2002
Hey, 88kdx. It's nice to see that someone else has the same bike.
Check out http://www.electrexusa.com/electrex_speedometers.html , I personally havn't used that product, but it looks like a good buy. I'm not sure if it will fit an '88. It's worth a look though. Someone else might have some experience with it.
I know that they have things like this for bicycles, and they're alot cheaper to(you can get them for around 35$ Canadian). If I were you I would phone up a bicycle shop and ask if it could somehow be mounted.

-Don

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
Yes, My dads 88 came with an electronic speedometer, and odometer, I havne looked at it in awhile so i dont know what other functions it has....GOod luck finding an oem used though. Good luck.
Tim

88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
Thanks guys. I love my 88 KDX. I bought it brand new in 88 here in New York. It's a rare white one. It came with a resetable tripmeter and timer (just like Jasonwho said) but the timer goes back to zero after one hour so I lose track of time. If you know of a stock 88 KDX computer that has a speedometer I would love to get that. I did find Trail tech endurance computer. But there made for 95 and newer KDX's. But I think I can make it work. Check them out if your looking for a speedo computer. There pretty cool. donh thanks for the web sit I'll check it now. How long have you had your 88 KDX and do you have any mods.

donh

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 20, 2002
I just got my '88 last year. No mods as of right now, but hope to have some done before the season starts. If you have done anyone mods that you feel are really worth it, please let me know. I'm really happy with the bike (even though it's stock) but I have no problem with more power.
All this talk about speedometers got me thinking that it would be a nice thing to have. Baja Designs has a few that are supposed to be generic, you should take a look at them at http://www.bajadesigns.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BD-Bike-Store&Category_Code=19

-Don

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
Have a look at the JustKDX website where you'll find a tech tip on installing a bicycle computer to your KDX. I have one on mine and it works great.
Andrew.

88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
donh - I have NO mods. I kept it stock. I'm thinking of putting a pipe and silencer on this spring. But I need to keep it quiet.
Andrew - what year is your KDX? I'd like to get a Trail tech speedo computer but I have to figure out which one will fit best since they don't make a specific fit for my 88.

donh

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 20, 2002
I'm also considering getting a pipe for it. The only one that I can find is the FMF fatty, and it's $200 U.S, plus shipping. If you find another pipe that will fit let me know. Thanks

-Don

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
88KDX- I used to own an '88 model; now have a '96. I fitted a cateye enduro bicycle computer (more commonly used for MTB rather than dirtbikes). had to modify the pickup cable length, but basically installation is as for a pushbike. It was simply a cheaper alternative for me rather than getting a motorcycle-specific enduro computer.

cheers,
Andrew

donh

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 20, 2002
A company called cateye is the leading manufacturer for bicycle computers. They carry 11 different cordless models. So no reason to be worried about the cord getting ripped off. The address is http://www.cateye.com/index_mod02.php

The prices range from $18 all the way up to $175. The way that most of them are mounted should allow you to put it on the kdx.

Some of the models you zip tie a receiver to one of your front forks, then put a little magnet that they provide on one of the spokes. The screen with the display is then attached to the bars with a bracket. It’s pretty straightforward. It should go on without a lot of trouble.

Jason, I'm interested in buying the FMF pipe and the Answer spark arrestor. If that’s possible please let me know price and condition that they are in.

Thanks in advance
-Don

sccasey

Jan 13, 2003
If any of you looking to go aftermarket for a pipe and silencer is interested in selling their stick silencer -- let me know. I picked up a used 87 a while ago but it was missing the silencer. Want to try the stock setup to keep it as quiet as possible. Thanks in advance, SteveC

88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
BUT, someone on this site said the wireless catzeye type speedo computer will not work on a motorcycle because the ignition system and running engine will cause problems with the sensor.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom