KDX 200 - Can Going Slow Cause Fouling?

Spike22

Nov 1, 2008
I am close to purchasing a 2002 KDX 200 but was recently told that I would have issues with the plugs fouling if I ride it slow because it is a 2 stroke. I have young kids that are just starting to ride so need a bike that I can ride slow with them - and of course ride faster with my friends. I have only had 4 strokes so wasn't familiar with this issue? Will I have issues with the plugs fouling if I ride it slow?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If it's in good mechanical shape and is jetted pretty close, no. I would take it in and have at least a leak-down test done to see if the motor is even worth jetting. If that's all good make sure the air filter is clean, put in new plug and commence jetting. It's well worth the initial time investment. Total cost should be less than 40 bucks for a leak-down test, a few plugs and some jets. The knowledge you will gain is priceless!

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Out of the box, yes, fouling is typical.
Jetting is key.
A few dollars for jets and it can chug all day.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
well if they are that slow use a bicycle, if their a bit faster just keep it in first or second gear (rpm's up) or just keep bliping the throttle with a bit of clutch as to not run them over
if its a 2002 its probably been messed with by now (jetting)
Carry a plug just in case (thats what that little black bags on the back fender is for)

Please dont get cought up in the jetting web that is cast far to often in here, if the bike runs good when you buy it there is no need to go messing around, the kdx is a good machine you should really enjoy it as I have. Came from several 4tokes and I love this 2 hitter.
I would say stay away from cr's yz's kx's rm's as they will foul cause they have to have the piss reved out of them to even let the clutch out.....not so with the kdx

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
sr5bidder said:
well if they are that slow use a bicycle, if their a bit faster just keep it in first or second gear (rpm's up) or just keep bliping the throttle with a bit of clutch as to not run them over
if its a 2002 its probably been messed with by now (jetting)
Carry a plug just in case (thats what that little black bags on the back fender is for)

Please dont get cought up in the jetting web that is cast far to often in here, if the bike runs good when you buy it there is no need to go messing around, the kdx is a good machine you should really enjoy it as I have. Came from several 4tokes and I love this 2 hitter.
I would say stay away from cr's yz's kx's rm's as they will foul cause they have to have the piss reved out of them to even let the clutch out.....not so with the kdx

:rotfl:

Spike22

Nov 1, 2008
Thanks all for the replies and tips. Sounds like the KDX is a good fit and need to make sure it is in good condition - and will plan to carry an extra plug.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom