KDX 200 power compared to KX 125

kimoaj

Apr 8, 2001
Hey!
I`m wondering how much faster a KX 125 is compared to a KDX 200 ?

I`d like a little more "calm" bike for trials and stuff like that.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Well, from firsthand experience as of last weekend, I can tell you that a bone-stock 200 will pretty much get smoked. Rolling on from 1st gear to part way through 5th, to the tune of about 4 - 5 bike lengths. I think the KX125 rider was much younger (and had not made the investment in Anheuser-Busch's products that I have). So there was a clear weight advantage - yeah, that's it :cool: .

I think this changes considerably if you add a pipe, airbox mod, etc.

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I'm no expert, but IMHO, you are comparing apples to oranges. However, you could hop-up the KDX to run with the KX, I have seen it done. Pipe, carb and jetting that leans to the MX side of power delivery and a top-end geared porting job had a guy I know running with 250's, not 125's. His bike was smoking the 125's in holeshot practices. This was a 200 with a 36mm carb and Race Tech (local guy) porting.

Too put things back into perspective, this guy ended up selling his 200 and purchasing a CR250. Seems that while he could match the power delivery of MX bikes on the track, the suspension could not be easily modified to keep up on the track.

Bottom line, the KDX is fun on the track, but if you want a MXer, you are better off buying one from the start. I'm attempting to engineer my KDX 200 to work decently on and off the track, but not optimally on either. I too am somewhat inhibited by aging and doughnuts....

Hope this helps.. ;)

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
weight of course plays a factor but i have a 95 kdx 200 with a rev pipe and stock cylinder/piston/carb/sprockets. i have 2 brothers that have a 91 and 92 kx250. whoever keeps the front end down gets the holeshot. they weigh 15 and 45 lbs less than i do. before i put the pipe on i got smoked. you can make it go pretty dang fast....

Kamofly

Apr 28, 2002
I agree w/ RTL...The "apples & oranges".
If you wana ride mostly trails, the KDX is very competitive, stock or mod.
you can smoke the 125 on trails, but the 125 will kill you on the mx track, but then u must consider rider skill level.
MY opinon is; The KDX is the most versital & reliable 2-stroke ever built.
It can compete w/ any size bore bike,w/ proper tuning, & alot of fun for beginner/ novice class.
-Buy 1 for the sake of keeping production alive-

krazyk

Mar 28, 2002
I ride an '01 220 with the13 front and 46 rear gear, rev pipe and 607 reeds, I have out ran a kx125 in a drag race, with the 200 it should be faster than my bike on top end, but on the track the kx out handles the kdx and can run faster laps.

In the woods I run 51 rear gear and the kx and I run together but I have the advantage in the tight stuff because I have more torque and dont need rpms for power thus less wheel spin. IMO

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
My 99 kdx after jetting, fmf k-35 air-box mod took a holeshot with 29 other bikes (250's and 125's). I got a plaque hangin on the wall to prove it. My son will testify that I rode a wheelie to the first turn also. :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom