KDX 200 starving?

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i've only had my 87 kdx for a few weeks, but when i go out riding, it just seems to be lacking something: example, when i first crank it over it acts like it's being choked out, then it warms up and runs good ( for about 20min), then if i get anywhere above 2nd gear and try to actually get on it, it acts like it is starving for fuel. I have done the following: clean KIPS, cleaned carb., including needle valve, checked condition of fuel petcock(not very good), ordered new carb manifold (should be in today, old one in terrible shape).......any ideas or recommendations?

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
I'd recommend cleaning out that petcock. Take it apart and clean the insides. Maybe change the fuel line and add a fliter while you're at it. Manifold change is a good idea. How are the reeds? I assume you had the float bowl off and it was clean on the bottom. You may need to replace or thoroughly clean the main and needle jets. I know you checked and cleaned the air filter and the filter box.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
the petcock really needs replaced, but i've been trying to budget my spending at the damn dealer!!!....reeds look good to me, they were in gap spec (unskilled in the reed department though), have clean all jets, new air filter w/ oil.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
honestly it's sad to say i'm not sure of the jet size, i believe it to be stock, but wouldn't bet on it....current carb boot is in terrible condition, thus this has been what i'm hoping my new carb boot will solve?!!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…