Kdx 200

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
Hey people, I am new here. I have a few questions. I am looking to buy a dirtbike (my first) pretty soon. Ive got about 2200 or so to spend. I was wondering if an older kdx200 (around a 94 or 95 or so) would be a good choice for me. I am about 6' 215lbs. I want to just do trail riding in the woods. I have heard bad stories about how all two strokes foul the plugs if you dont always have it wide open. And I heard that they are always having to be rebuilt. Well, I dont have the money for rebuilding all the time, would I be better off with a klx250 or something like that?

Thanks,
Joey

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Well the KDX is a pretty tough bike. there is a bit more top end maintenance than a 4 stroke required overall, but your maintenance schedule with a KDX will be comparable to a KLX.

Your brakes, bearings, chain, sprockets will all be on the same intervals. just the top end is different. You have to keep in mind that the KDXs have been around for a while with very few changes. So parts are plentiful and cheap. Once you learn to do a top end, it is like 1hr work and $100 at the most (if nothing is damaged).

The KDX is lighter than the KLX bikes and is cheaper to modify for more power. With a KLX, the first thing you need to do is get a good pumper carb, $400. Well with the $400 you can have new aftermarket reeds, pipe and silencer with some pennies left over on the KDX.

For fouling plugs, any bike can do that if it is not jetted properly or has bad rings. You may need to change the jetting a bit more with the KDX 2 stroke with varrying conditions, but it is a simple task. Always carry 2-3 spare plugs in your pack incase you foul a plug or two out riding. ALso using the proper mixture of gas to oil is critical to keep from seizing the bike or fouling plugs. Invest in good 2 stroke oils here, I run the amsoil personally.

Both bikes have good traits in the woods. That is where the bikes are at home. It pretty much comes down to a personal 2stroke vs 4stroke issue here.

crashburn36

Mar 25, 2002
save up a few hundred more and you will probably be able to find one closer to a 2000 model. They are only around 3800 brand new.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
Try to get a '95 or newer. '94 & older are the old style. You could get a '95 through '97 easy with $2200.

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
I paid 2300 for my 97, and only after I made the seller replace all kinds of stuff. New chain, sprockets, handlebars, grips, already had an fmf pipe, tune up, new rear tire, and a few others. You could probably find one for 2000, or less and buy a few extras. I have had it for a week and haven't fouled a plug, even when i lug it alot.

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
How often do the motors need top ends rebuilt. And when you do it do you have to buy a new cylinder and piston every time? If not then I may seriously look into buying a kdx. I dont have any personal experience with them, but from the way other people make it sound you have to tear them down every 10 or so hours of riding. I dont mind getting my hands dirty at all, and actually enjoy taking things apart, especially engines. I just dont have the cash flow to be buying a $300 cylinders and 80 dollar pistons every 10 hours of riding. Can someone please point me in teh right direction. Also, how much is the two stroke oil?

Thanks for all your replies,
Joey

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
2 stroke oil is $25 a gallon for me. I buy the Amsoil synthetic stuff. A quart is 3-7 depending on brand. Just remember that you mix 32-50:1 depending on conditions and preference.

Top end, unless you score the cylinder you do not need to replace it. You can also bore the stock one and install a sleeve for a big bore kit for more CCs.

Realistically, new gasket set is 20-30 bills, rings, piston and bearing will be total about $100-150. With the KDX, they can go longer than the MX bikes like the CRs and KXs. So about every 50-100hours of riding would be about right on them.

The better you take care of the bike, the cheaper the maintenance is. Same goes for the quality of oils you run generally.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…