Scrubber

Oct 27, 2004
Hello all.

New to forum - have a few questions if you don't mind.

I'm purchasing a bike to ride with my sons (10/8) and never owned one before. Grew up on ATVs - want a bike this time. I'm 31, 5'10", 185lbs. I have an opportunity to purchase a 2002 KDX for around $2k - my question is, is this a good bike for a beginner? My riding area will be countryside North Carolina - some sand, some trails, minimal mud. Riding time will probably be around 10 hours per month.

Thanks for any info / advice you can afford.

Cheers, Scrubber

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
It would be a excellent first, second or even last bike. If you ride super agressive you would probably eventually want a KTM or the like. KDX's are as mellow as you want them to be. A 4 stroke in a 2 stroke wrapper!

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I don't think you'll find any other full size bike that is as easy to ride as the KDX. Very mellow, yet very capable. And the modifications and parts available for it will let it keep right up with you as your skill level increases.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
You are in the barn and asking if we like the livestock on the farm. The KDX is a great bike for your intended use! Only problem is that your kids will grow up and take it away from you and you will have to buy another one. Lots and lots of fun for you and your family! Read these forums to learn how to customize for your pleasures. Enjoy the rides. John

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Wait a minute, did you say "riding in North Carolina" and "minimal mud"? Aren't those mutually exclusive terms? Oh, you said sand...you must be out east.

Where are you at in NC? Not too many trail oriented places that I have found in my one year of looking, but quite a few MX tracks.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
Hello...if the bike you're gonna get has a bone stock suspension and worn tires...then becareful cause that bike will hurt you when you least expect it, and it is not easy to ride...get the suspension sorted out for you and its a very very easy bike to ride....Good luck with it....

Scrubber

Oct 27, 2004
Thanks for the info. I'm in Goldsboro area, 50ish miles East of Raleigh. Not many riding places around here - enough to keep me happy for the time being. Will hopefully be in Nevada or Idaho in another few years.

Thanks again!

Scrubber

Scrubber

Oct 27, 2004
Ad states:

2001 KAWASAKI KDX220, FMF pipe, skid plate, renthal bars, bark-busters, D.I.D. gold chain, on-fly clutch adj, moose extra heavy duty tubes and more, $2200 919-362-8583 Apex

kdxmr

Oct 30, 2004
Hey WANARIDE where have you looked for places to trail ride in NC. I can think of a few that will give most people more than they can handle.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom