mlineweber

Apr 19, 2002
One of my buddies has a 2000 KDX220, he is a little shorter than normal and can barely reach the ground when seated. Any ideas to lower riding height?

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
lowering kdx

Install a shorter preload spacer in the forks and/or raise fork tubes in the triple clamp [no more than 1/2" though]
Rear: Replace the "dog bones" with a Kouba Link

prk

Nov 8, 2001
I got a set of Kouba Links and they worked great . Lowered the seat about 1.5 inches. I got the #3 links. They have web site koubalink.com. I also had seat cut down . I am 5ft3in. I can now stop and not fall over. With the links you have to work with the sag. You can bottom out if you are too heavy.KDX200 01

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
My investigation on lowering yielded this:

If you just want the bike lower and don't care about the geometry for handling the Kouba links work well. The problem with them is if you lower the rear by 1.5 inches you need to lower the fork tubes in the triple clamps by the same amount or the bike won't steer in the corners it will push. I'm not sure you can lower them that much. Changing the dogbones will also increase the leverage placed on the rear shock spring so you may need a heavier spring if you weigh over 180 LBS. Devol also makes an adjustable dogbone for the KDX that is about 3 MM longer than stock and will lower your seat about 1/2 inch but it also effects the leverage ratio. MX Tech can lower your suspension if you send it to them and the bike will at least handle properly but you will sacrifice some wheel travel- if you cut your seat and take an inch of travel out of the bike you can get it about 2 1/2 inches lower. To cut the seat you can use an electric knife and trim it down and countour it narrower at the top. I had a local upholstery shop do mine on the spot and it turned out real nice. I never messed with lowering the suspension because of the horrendous Michigan whoops and all these fast guys I ride with.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom