michigander

Feb 10, 2002
Hello I have a question? I am buying my first bike this spring and am wondering which one to buy. I looked at all the companys/models and decided on the kdx now do I get a 220 or 200. I use to ride years ago as a kid, and now got this bug up my bum that I want a dirtbike of my own.
I will be riding mostly trails up north and around our familys farm. I a have never had a bike of my own my mother would never let me. so I raced BMX bike as akid and then mountain bikes as an adult. now I want some real fun. Hope you can help me out.:debil: :( :debil:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Cjeck out JustKDX website for comparison

If you plan to race get the 200 so you can run the 200 class, other wise get the 220. It has an "O" ring chain already and hase better bottom end for lugging it down the trails. Both bikes are identical in frame, ergos, etc. Both bikes are about the same in speed, the 200 revs out farther and the 220 tractors better. Good luck. Maybe you can join one of our Michgan Trail rides this year, I see you are from Lansing.

Groove

Jan 15, 2002
I had the same problem

I just bought a left over 2001 KDX220. I love it. I couldn't decide which one to get either. I would like to do some racing and that pushed me to the 200. I decided I was not going to compete but rather race because it was there and fun to ride. I decided the extra torque of the 220 was what I really needed. I have a lot of tight trails where I ride and this bike you can almost bring to a stop in gear before it stalls. From that low speed, crank the throttle a little and it will launch. I just completed my first ride of only 12 miles and fell in love. It was even controlable on the ice up here.

200Dude

Feb 10, 2002
I used to own a KDX 200. I now own a KTM 200 exc.
Just some advice. If you plan to do any hare scrambles you will want to look very long and hard at the KTM. It has every thing you will need except hand guards. Aluminuim bars, adjustable bar mounts, o-ring chain, aluminuim wheels, alum. rear sprocket. 18" rear wheel, works pipe, and the best suspension on a stock bike avaliable.

ninjaman

Feb 10, 2002
Price difference

I to am thinking about 200 or 220. I can buy a real good 97 200 for 1500 or do I bite the bullet and spend a 1000 to 1400 more and get a 220. Is there a company that could bore out the 200 block to 220 if I wanted to go that way later? And if I would put a 36mm carb and change sprocket setup would that get me close to the good lugging ability for trails and hare scrambles?

michigander

Feb 10, 2002
Well thanks for the helpful hints, I still don't know which way to go. I guess I need to see what kind of deal the shop gives me and go from there. I then need a new helmet and boots. stuff adds up quick. and the wife isn't crazy about the idea in the first place but said go ahead.
Hey fred I also see your from bay city area. I duck hunt up that way in the fall a lot out by sebawing. our family lives up in the thumb area around elkton if you know where that is. I would love to get together to ride once I get up and running.:debil: :scream: :debil:

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Ninjaman,, Thats a great deal on that bike for 1500.00!!! i would suggest gettin it unless you have the money to burn to get a better one!!! Weigh the pros and cons,,, How much would it take to put that 97 in comparable condition to the better looking ones that you are looking at!! I bought a 96' fer 1500.00 cause i knew i could take the extra money i had and make it a better bike and there fore a better bang fer the buck!! And we all like to customize are bikes when we get them so,, you better have extra money to play with!!! And michagander, i am to!!! And you answered your own Q. Go see what kind of deal you can get on the 200/220!! and which ever one u can get, i would sugguest you by it. Cause the KDX 200/220 is the best bike for you and your wallet!! Its been provin that you can buy a new KDX and put all the performance parts on it that KTM has and still have plenty of money left!!! Yes there is plenty of things you can do to make either bike act like the other!! Oh and if you buy the bike from a dealer, seems like you could talk them into giving you a HJC helmet and some gloves.. Ive seen alot of that happen at the shop i goto!!

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
The 200 or the 220 will fit the bill for you. They are both very forgiving for a new (or reborn) rider. The 200 doesnt come with an Oring chain but has more upgrade potential to the motor (porting etc .. ) The 220 is a low end monster. Excellent for low speed trials, hills, just poking around. It has an Oring chain also. A non Oring chain will stretch and will need to be replaced in the first few months. If you have no interest in racing my suggestion would be get a 220 and ride it as is. And when you get ready for more get the REV pipe, carb bored, and remover the airbox lid. You do these mods ($400 tops) and you better hang on.

Let me confuse you even more. Eric Gore will bore the 200 to 225 and claims to make it almost electric in power delivery. KelvinKDX is getting his done right now and hopefully will post a review as soon as he gets it back together. I am VERY interested in having this done for my 200.

Hey KTM 200 Dood .. How much more $$ did you pay for the KTM versus a new KDX. 15 .. 18 hundred. You can do ALOT to that KDX for 15 big ones.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Good!

Originally posted by michigander

Hey fred I also see your from bay city area. I duck hunt up that way in the fall a lot out by sebawing. our family lives up in the thumb area around elkton if you know where that is. I would love to get together to ride once I get up and running.:debil: :scream: :debil:

Keep your eyes peeled in the "places to Ride" forum for upcoming ride announcments -so far we are looking at our first ride to be in Leota on around April 4-5-6 area. One of those days depending on the weather. It's less than 2 months away!!! :confused: :)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Everybody has one...

..an opinion that is.

Reading how great the exc is, then thinking back on this last weekend when my formerly kdx'd buddy was riding his brand new ktm (with the WP suspension, tuned for only another $400+!!), and THEN hearing him cuss the thing up and down cuz it didn't hold a CANDLE to his kdx...

I find the whole issue to be quite hilarious.

Seems to me (this is an imo moment) that lottsa people equate 'eclectic' and 'expensive' with 'good' or 'great'. Hellsbells...the first thing that happened on this brand new GREAT bike was the kickstand BROKE OFF!! Not fell off...BROKE! Hey..the attaching bolt is only about $30!!

ha...and ha ha ha.

Top Bottom