NukEmAll

Mar 11, 2001
Hi everybody, I want to buy a new pipe and silencer for my stock KDX. I am looking at the FMF Gnarly and the FMF Fatty with a Power Core II. What kind of performance gains should I expect from each of these set-ups? On FMF's website, it says that they only have a Fatty pipe for the KDX 200, will the fatty work as it should on a KDX 220? I will also have to re-jet after installing the new pipe and silencer, correct? Thanks in advance for your help.

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
FMF has two pipes the K-30 Rev and the K-35 Torque. They both work on the KDX-220. The rev will give you more top end the torque more bottom. Do a search on this it has been discussed many times. What is best for you is perference, do you ride snotty rocky stuff or more open.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I would go with the rev. I got one for mine, never rode with the stock one though. The bike has enough low end to go anywhere in the tight muddy woods where I ride. I would imagine in Texas you would want the extra top end boost from the rev too. Probably plenty of wide open spaces there.;)

NukEmAll

Mar 11, 2001
LOL KDXChode

Come to think of it, I could use the extra power up top. I spend most of my time in 3 gear and up. Will the rev pipe take any of my precious low-end power away? Sorry for all these dumb questions but I am pretty new to the whole dirtbike thing and I am still learning.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
The KG-30 Rev pipe is my personal choice on the 220. It adds a whole bunch more mid to top end and leaves the bottom end intact. The KG-35 Torque pipe doesn't work as well at improving power everywhere on the 220 as it does on the 200. On the 220 the KG-35 will increase bottom end to mid rpm power delivery but after than it falls flat just like the stock pipe. You've likely noticed that with the stock pipe in place rolling the throttle past about 85% open results in more noise but no meaningful increase in power, the KG-35 is like that too. The KG-30 still pulls strong right up to WOT. The torque pipe on a 220 doesn't offer a noticeable improvement at upper-mid to high rpms. This isn't to say the KG-35 doesn’t have a place on the 220. If you ride tight technical trails and spend the majority of your time in 3rd gear or lower then the KG-35 might be just what the doctor ordered. Like others have said it's a personal choice.

Given you spend most of your time in 3rd or higher I'd say the KG-30 is the better choice for you.

David

Top Bottom