mlgilbert

Oct 6, 2004
My son dumped the brand new kdx220 that my wife bought him .He is not hurt but , the handlebars are toast and the two mounting bolts that are in rubber grommets are bent , also the manifold is dented. Could anybody recommend a different handlebar set or should I just use stock ones?? and maybe new grips? is it hard to get them off??? And what is a good exhaust system? My kx500 is great and I'm slowly getting back in shape and all I can say about this bike is it will do anything you give it if you hold on and take it! :yikes:

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Most any aftermarket bars will beat the heck out of the stock ones. 7/8 or 1 1/8.
Solid bar mounts work best if you don't mind paying for them.
FMF pipe. Dessert or torque. Do a search and read the pros and cons of the two. I personally like the rev for the 220 but about half the people will disagree. You won't go wrong with either.
Good luck.

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
Agree with BcV above... I have a 04 220R and the first time I went down in what was nothing more intense then dropping the bike down in a turn on the track at about walking speed, the stock bar bent! And not just a "barely noticeable" bend either but a severe one!

I was both shocked and amused at how easily it was done! I've since replaced with a set of ProTapers and have gone down a few more times with no ill effect on the bars at all. I believe the hype when it comes to these bars that if you crash hard enough to bend them, you probably didn't feel much like riding anymore anyway *laughing*

I got the FMF Gnarly Desert pipe... Its been said (and confirmed by my own experience) that it gives you something at every part of the power curve low, mid and high. Whereas, the Woods pipe on the 220R adds alot to the bottom end, a bit in the midrange and nothing at the top end...

Good luck!

Feanor

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Howdy M,

I've got Renthal 7/8" bars on my KDX200 with a Scotts top bar clamp and their hard Sanaprene cones. I did not tweak my actual mounts so the lower perches were reused. Scotts has lower perches too.

http://www.scottsperformance.com/indexmain.html

Another choice are the BRP perches. They also offer cones.

http://www.mxsouth.com/brp/brpbarmou.htm

http://www.brpit.com/pages/products/bar_mounts.html

Whether you go with 7/8 or 1 1/8 bars is your choice. I stayed with 7/8" bars because I like having a crossbar over my damper and I added bark busters for some extra strength. So far so good. I also bought new grips.

When/if you buy a new pipe, alos get a pipe guard to protect it. They can run anywhere from $30 to over $100.

Best,
Greg

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
I have the MSR Dominators, I believe they are 7/8"...not sure. At any rate, they are fairly inexpsensive and had more than their share of "unscheduled get-offs". No bends yet. Also added some bark busters (the stockers are junk, one tree and they are toast). Went with the FMF Gnarly Desert. Wakes the bike up alot. Toss the airbox lid, add pipe/silencer, jet, and hit the trail.

Top Bottom