gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Does anybody know about the kdx50. I'm trying to help my sister research a bike for her 4yr old son. He has ridden my daughter's (she’s 6) xr50r with training wheels and did fine. I like the xr50 but it's too heavy for my daughter to pick up (and I know I'm tired of picking it up). I'm thinking it may be too heavy for him too.
The reason we're considering the kdx50 is that I am planning on buying a klx300r and a klx110r. If I buy three new bikes from the dealer I should get a good deal on them.
Are there any reasons that I should forget the kdx50 and just go with the xr50?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Well what kind of riding are you going to do? The KDX is nothing more than a green JR50. If you had any reasons not to buy that then they all apply to the KDX. The kdx is part of Kaw and Suz joint venture where they will share their model lines.
The KDX/JR is a great little beginner bike. You'll notice a thread going on here aobut how to change the single speed Jr to a 2 speed bike. Its applicable to the KDX as well.
The only thing I like better about the PW over the xR/JR/KDX/LEM lx1 and KTM OI is that its shaft drive. One less thing for the kids to get caught up in.
At Ponca we saw a kid crash and go cartwheeling. Not sure how but his hand ended up in the chain and sproket.
If you having to pick the xR up and your using training wheels get the ones that go under the pegs and are 36" wide. Never tip it over with those.

Last edited:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
The JR50 has always been a great little bike, can't see it in green plastic being any worse - 3 team green bikes in your stable - can't go wrong with that. I'd like to see the JR80 in KDX livery as well :)

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
I forgot about that joint venture between those two.
Most likely we're going to be doing mostly trail riding, occasionally an mx track.
They may want something that they can pass on to their daughter when he moves up. From what I've been reading that may be the XR50. Does the JR50 hold up well over time? I read one post that claimed the frame on the JR has a tendency to break. This is going to be his first bike I don't know how hard he is going to ride.
The training wheels I'm using go on the rear axle. One dealership I talked to claimed that the ones that hook to the foot pegs bottom out on hills. I also bent them out some as my daughter progressed. When they were in tight they didn't allow her to lean the bike and made it harder for her to turn. And she likes to lean. When we first got the bike I just pushed her around the yard. She would lean the bike so hard I thought she was trying to drag her knee. Must be all the motorcycle racing she watches with me.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Well I tried both the axle ones and the under foot peg ones. The axle ones allow the bike to tip with the slightest turn. We never got to the track with the under peg ones but we have a Pw out at the track now and he uses the his training wheels all day long without hassle. Only on the kiddie track but it has some good jumps.
I think both the JR and PW have frame problems. They were never meant to race serious. When my kid was racing the PW we broke the lower bearing race at least once a month. Also bent the frame. That was with a 45 pound 6 year old. The xR withstands serious beatings. I hop on and try to chase my kid around the track. I go close to 250 and so far the only thing toasted is the chain and a weld on the pipe gaurd.

Whatever they do just tell them to have fun!

Cary

Dec 6, 2002
My boy rode the heck out of his Jr50 with no probs, even raced in HareScrambles for 6 months. It's pretty lame in the speed dept, but is the best learner bike I know of. Never had any frame probs, or any other probs either. It was a "99 model. If you've got a big kid, like with a taller kid, though, the JR is real short, and I'd go with the XR. Plus, the XR will haul you around also...Double bonus points..........Cary

Top Bottom