OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
One for the "if it ain't one thing it's something else" file. Got the new sprockets on today and went to put the new O-ring chain on and,, you guessed it, the chain guide is too narrow. Can get a Moose (Fredette) guide locally for $12 or so less than online but the kicker is, it won't be here until next week.
Wanted to try to get a ride in this weekend if the weather permits. So I'm thinking of taking the stock guide to the shop tomorrow and grinding the inside a little to clear the chain pins on the wider chain.
Trials and tribulations. :laugh:
Otherwise the remake of the new bike is coming along quite nicely.
Some pictures of the progress..
Originally..
KDX20012-28-08009Custom.jpg

Progress so far..
KDX2001-11-09009Medium.jpg

Other side..
KDX2001-11-09007Medium.jpg

Gettin' there. Still got a few things to do, but will be riding soon. :cool:

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
I still say that is one of the cleanest KDX's I've seen on this forum....

What skid plate is that??

I can't believe the stock chain guide will not allow an O-ring chain to pass through. I checked mine yesterday and it has a good 0.080" on each side of the non-O-ring chain....

OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
mudpack said:
I still say that is one of the cleanest KDX's I've seen on this forum....

What skid plate is that??

I can't believe the stock chain guide will not allow an O-ring chain to pass through. I checked mine yesterday and it has a good 0.080" on each side of the non-O-ring chain....

It's a Moose plate.
Yes, chain guide very neatly catches the ends of the chain pins on the white plastic part of the guide. I'll open it up enough to clear the chain pins and it should work alright.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I don't run a o-ring chain either I seem to think as dirty as it gets the o-rings would end up trapping dirt inside the chain or the orings would just plain get tore up by all the mud and crap. when I went riding the sat after xmas it was so muddy the chain looked like a mud rope (could not see between links)

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
The stock 1995 and newer KDX200 came with a non-ring chain and the KDX220R came with a ring chain. I think the guides are as wide as the chain they came with. Check the diagrams for details.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
OLHILLBILLY said:
Yes, chain guide very neatly catches the ends of the chain pins on the white plastic part of the guide.
Heck, the white plastic part of the guide caught the pin ends on the master link on my stock (non-O-ring) chain! I had to space the rear hub over 0.060" in order to center the chain in the guide....since I couldn't reposition the guide itself in the direction it needed to go. :think:

Last edited:

OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
Took it's plastic innards to work today and re-designed it. Clears the chain pins quite nicely now.
I'm going to order a Moose guide tomorrow but it won't be here until sometime next week. Only reason I fooled with the stock one was in case (weather permitting) I get to go for a first test ride this weekend.
Tired, tubed, chained, sprocketed, air filtered, bared, hand guarded, new fuel lined, even got a few sticker mods :laugh: , so it's pretty well ready to ride.
Finished product (for now)..
KDX2001-12-09006Medium.jpg

jth

May 21, 2006
I went through the same thing. Used some washers as shims to center the guide in relation to the chain. Worked great.
The stock bolts are just long enough.

0120x

Jan 10, 2009
nice kdx,i am going through the same thing.my new xring chain is hitting the guide.thanks for the thread i will order an aftermarket this week.thanks 0120x

Kaleel

May 6, 2008
jth said:
I went through the same thing. Used some washers as shims to center the guide in relation to the chain. Worked great.
The stock bolts are just long enough.

BINGO! Of sorts... The chain guide comes in two halves. You can use thin washers as spacers to seperate the two halves of the chain guide to make it wider. That will give you a temporary fix untill you aquire a wider guide to accomodate the O-ring chain.

Mike

PS- the bike looks fantastic.

lumpy39us

Dec 21, 2007
Man that exhaust seems to have no dents. Get your self a Moose or a MSR exhaust protector. FRP has a chain guide.
By the way nice lookin KDX

OLHILLBILLY

Jun 29, 2006
Thanks for the great compliments everyone!
The pipe does have a small dent on the front underside, have to be laying on the ground to see it. I believe the bike was used as a cattle herder around a field or something along that line. Those days are over. :laugh:
I will indeed look into a pipe guard.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Also you can order just the moose replacement wear block ( fits the kdx all years) from Parts unlimited and get longer bolts and shim the top mount

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Shimming the guide will only move it inboard. If the chain is touching the outboard half of the guide, you're out of luck.
Mine was touching the outboard half, and I had to shim the rear wheel hub to move the sprocket to the right.

jth

May 21, 2006
Mudpack
Move the aluminum plate of the guard to the outside of the swingarm mounting tabs.
This will allow you to move the guide outboard.
Mount the plastic guide against the inside of the tabs and shim it to center the chain.
The plastic guide comes into 2 pieces. You can shim it wider if you need.

I installed a Tri medal sprocket and had to grind groves at the top of the plastic to clear the rivets in the sprocket (+ re-align the guide).

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
the best solution is to forget about oring chains there is no reason to spend money like that, just do the maintenace on a good rk chain and replace it when its time for a new rear sprocket.

I only run oring on my magna and it's never seen rain or mud.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
jth said:
Mudpack
Move the aluminum plate of the guard to the outside of the swingarm mounting tabs.
This will allow you to move the guide outboard.
Mount the plastic guide against the inside of the tabs and shim it to center the chain.
The plastic guide comes into 2 pieces. You can shim it wider if you need.
Which goes to show that you are a lot more resourceful than I am! Nice work.

Top Bottom