KDX Charging System upgrade

rus23

Jun 2, 2008
I recently purchased a mildly abused 1997 KDX 220, The head light was not included on the sale. I purchased an Acerbis Dual Halogen unit from Ebay for 30 bucks, since the stock ones were going for 75+. BUT, as you can imagine, the lights don't light. They glow a dim orange and that is it.

So, has anyone put a heavy duty coil on these bikes, and if so, what units will fit this engine.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this question has been asked already and I didn't find it in my search (I did search, and nothing jumped out at me).

rus23

alfa

May 31, 2008
HI, i dont know if this is correct,but i saw somwhere that the ones off the sr models do the trick,hope this helps.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The SR never got imported to the US, so it might be hard to find one of those.

Places like baja designs can rewind your stator for more wattage. You could contact them for price and ask how much power they can get out of the KDX system.

What bulbs are in the Acerbis now? Your lighting system probably only puts out about 35 - 40 watts, so if you can wire it for a single 30 or 35 watt bulb (or twin 15's, lol) it should light.

rus23

Jun 2, 2008
Wattage

The ones advertised in the moto rags are listed as 35 watts, which is pretty much what the stock system puts out. I may have other problems with it. Or it may be the lights themselves. I have a 10 amp 12 volt power supply and the lights drew enough for it to go into safe mode. They lit with a 12 volt car battery, but as I wrote before they are very dim, barely glowing with the the bikes output. Another thing, while the headlights are unhooked, the taillight is very bright, with the headlight hooked up, it's very dim. So, the system seems to be putting out 12 volts, maybe just not enough amps. Or again, maybe these bulbs aren't 35 watts.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Put in an led rear tail light bulb. It draws almost nothing and will help you out on wattage for the headlight. I got mine at auto zone years ago and the real plus is that vibration does not bother it and it lasts and lasts. Cheers John

Ogre

Dec 11, 2007
I may have the same Acrebis headlight you have.
I am thinking a pair of 35W bulbs is how they come.
Check to see what wattage the bulbs are as higher watt bulbs are available.

FWIW I have a 50W and a 35W in mine.
I also have a 130W Baja Design stator upgrade to run them along with a brake light.

BTW You can easily disable one of the bulbs, I would try that first.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
rickystator.com

You are trying to run a headlight requiring much more wattage than what the stock system puts out (35 -40). A rear LED will help. Also, make sure you have the regulator.

WILEECOYOTE

May 9, 2008
35 watts @ 12 Volts = 2.92 Amps X 2 Bulbs = 5.84 Amps
If you are shutting down a 10 Amp power supply I would think somthing is wrong with the bulbs or they are rated wrong.

rus23

Jun 2, 2008
50 watters

WILEECOYOTE said:
35 watts @ 12 Volts = 2.92 Amps X 2 Bulbs = 5.84 Amps
If you are shutting down a 10 Amp power supply I would think somthing is wrong with the bulbs or they are rated wrong.

2-50 watt bulbs, but, i was only trying to light one. maybe that 1.25 amps is a little much.

Source for 30-35 watt bulbs? I looked around quick and don't see replacement bulbs listed on any of the googled sites. Parts Unlimited I guess.

Last edited:

rus23

Jun 2, 2008
power supply is rated at 12 amps continuous, 14 amp surge. A 50 watt bulb puts it into safe mode. I suppose the power supply could be a POS.

WILEECOYOTE

May 9, 2008
Sorry,
50 watts @ 12 volts = 4.17 amps X 2 bulbs = 8.34 amps
Still under the 12 amps rated.
If you had one hooked up to a 12 volt battery and it was still dim I sure would suspect the bulbs.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom