RRR

Apr 6, 2006
Need some help.
I just got done replacing crank bearings and seals on my KDX200
My bike was using tranny fluid and smoking too much.
Now it is worst, I don't understand it. Thought I did everything right. I opened the magneto cover and there was oil there also. With the bike sitting now and the magneto cover off I can see were oil leaked from the seal. I have another set of seals but don't want to put them in until I figure this one out. Had the crank checked at the shop when I had it out, they said it was all in specs. I notice the gasket set said 2002 on it, my bike is an 03. I don't believe that makes a difference since the part number for 02 and 03 is the same. Only difference I found was the KIPS power valve shaft seals are of a different size. Any help will be appreciated.

RRR

Apr 6, 2006
Just an FYI for anyone reading this post.
I just got a message from an old pro that says the seals have to break in, so if I ride the bike some the problem might just go away.
If anyone else has any other ideas please let me know them. In the mean time I guess I will start riding.

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
I have been told that when you put new seals in its important to smear oil on the surface that mates to the shaft, that way when you start it for the first time there isnt too much friction which causes heat which can cause the seal to be ruined before you've even put the bike in first gear. I have never heard of them having to bed in before working, I think your going to have to replace the seal again.

krazyinski

Feb 2, 2006
19Brendan81 said:
I have been told that when you put new seals in its important to smear oil on the surface that mates to the shaft, that way when you start it for the first time there isnt too much friction which causes heat which can cause the seal to be ruined before you've even put the bike in first gear. I have never heard of them having to bed in before working, I think your going to have to replace the seal again.
I second that on the use grease or oil on the seal never assemble seals or orings with out grease or oil with the exeption of cryogenic seals even then some use food grade grease.

Top Bottom