dirtbikedan

Dec 4, 2002
Is this possible? My dad and I aquired an '89 KLR from my uncle and the engine needs a total rebuild. My dad really likes my KDX, and since we aren't made of money like most, we were wondering just how hard it would be to swap a different engine into this beast. What better engine than the almighty KDX powerplant. I am guessing something close to the '89 era would help maybe? I am a machinist/Tool & Die maker, so making some kind of adapter plate would be no problem if need be. Let me hear some ideas or stories on this. Thanks

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
Well...I don't know if the KLR/KLX frames are the same (don't think so) but just measure the distance between the engine mounts on both bikes, see if they are close at all.
Another thing to consider would be pipe mounts, this can be difficult with a 2 smoke going into a 4stroke frame, although I've seen it done.
Yet another complication can be the alignment of the front and rear sprockets. If its only off by a few mm's it can be fixed pretty easily with some simple spacers, but sometimes they can be off by a few inches.

Bottom line, do some research first. I am guessing that a 89-94 200 motor would fit best or even maybe a KDX250 motor. It may end up being alot more work than being worth it.

Define "total rebuild"- is the tranny messed up or just the motor? Is it a valve train problem? If you need a new piston/rebore maybe look into a big bore kit, would probly be easier and maybe even cheaper than swapping a KDX motor into that frame.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

dirtbikedan

Dec 4, 2002
To make a long story short on the current KLR 250 engine, it is completely torn apart, and according to my uncle it needs a timing chain and guides, and the typical rebore and probably a valve job. We have a '74 XL250 Honda with an excellent running rebuilt engine and were joking around considering that swap - no we weren't intoxicated!! But, we decided that would be silly. He really likes my KDX, and will more than likely have one in the next year or two, but wondered if anyone has tried this KDX engine into KLR swap. Thanks.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Another thing to consider along with pipe mounts, sprokets, would be air box/ air boot, engine mounts (obviously) but in perticular the brackets which bolt to the frame from the cyl head. I think the air box and boot would be very hard to modify, because the air boot and carb go into the head of a 4 stroke, and into the cylinder base on a 2 stroke. you're probably looking at 3-4 inches difference. Not to mention installing a stock air box on a KDX is already a pain.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
The KLR's pitiful excuses for suspension and brakes would be a waste of a great engine. I'd much rather have a KDX engine in a MX bike. That's just my opinion though.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom