duke

Oct 9, 1999
I am wanting to purchase a KDX for mostly trail riding and a few hare scrambles to enter the 40 C class. Being budget minded and mandated to ride a pre 96 model because of strict California CARB rules, I was wondering how far back I could go on the KDX series before I find myself with something that is simply too dated for the aformentioned purposes.

Thanks, Bill

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I have a 2002 KDX200 and a guy in Sundays Turkey Run was riding a 1997 KDX220 and he loves it.
The trails we were on were some of the harshest northeastern rocky, hilly, rutty. rooty muddy that I have ever ridden. The KDX's did great, including the 1997,but I went down hard and broke a rib.SH*T!

MDA

May 27, 2002
I've only owned the 2002 KDX220R so I can't speak from personal experience, but... My brother-in-law races in a 4 hour endurance race (two person teams) every year at a local ski hill. He rides a new WR426F, while his riding buddy has a beat up 1990 KDX200. His buddy logged faster lap times this year (like in previous years if I remember correctly). In short, the rider is what makes the most difference. You should be fine with anything after 1990. I'm not knocking anything older than that, I just have no insight to what the KDX was like prior to 1990.

As long as you find the bike fun to ride, then it will be the right choice...

Have fun, and ride safe..

-Mark-

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
As I understand it, 96 or earlier is entitled to a green sticker. Since Kawasaki has not changed the KDX design since ’95, your best bet is to buy a 95 or 96 KDX 200. It will be fine for the 40 C class.

Jackpiner, Sorry to hear about your ribs. I too was at the Triple B T-Run yesterday. There were some good rocky hills :)

duke

Oct 9, 1999
BRush you are correct regarding the time frames that involve which year bikes are required to have a "red sticker" affixed to them. I currently have a 91 EXC250. Not a bad bike. But I want something a little more diminutive and a bike where parts are a bit cheaper. A lot of the after market companies do not offer items for a KTM this old. Such is not the case for the KDX obvioulsy. I am sure some web surfing KTM owner will respond that unlike a KDX, the EXC doesnt require all the aftermarket bells and whistles. But nontheless, I am of the opinion that the KDX will serve my needs just as well. Now to prepare the KTM for sale

Thanks

Bill

Los Angeles

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
Just a side note to BRush you can get a green sticker here in California for a 97 and older. I received one for my 97 KDX 220. I have even recently dual-sported it.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by duke
I am sure some web surfing KTM owner will respond that unlike a KDX, the EXC doesnt require all the aftermarket bells and whistles.

One good thing about buying a ’95 or ’96 is that you can probably find one that has most of the “bells and whistles” already supplied by the previous owner for a price more or less the same as a stock bike (since none of us can ever expect to recover the wads of cash we’ve spend on goodies) :(.

Make sure to inspect the rear linkage on any used KDX of that vintage. They hold up well, but only if they get greased once a year or so.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom