kdx for short riders

menujet

Apr 12, 2002
Anyone have any experience with longer dog bones and/or dropping the fork tubes in the triple clamps, or any other mods for short riders?

This is for a 5'7'' person on a 96 kdx200

Thanks

kevin c.

Jan 28, 2003
Hi, I am 5'6" and all I did was cut the seat foam down by about 1 1/2 inches
It sure helped a lot, and I reused the factory seat cover so time was my only cost. good luck.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You mention longer pull rods, so you're familiar with that. What is it you're asking? How they work? If they work?

Check the koubalink website for some more info.

Ask a more specific question?

5'7" isn't much on the short side. If you're new to dirtbikes, some time spent getting used to the bike will help a lot. Being able to easily touch the ground will come to be less of a need.

NOT being able to touch the ground will likely be an advantage, anyway. Developing that habit isn't a good thing. A good way to get hurt for one. Getting to trust the bike (when you get the suspension to work as it should) and knowing it can save your arse more often than not if you just LET it is a good thing.

Last edited:

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
im 6'6" what can i do being on the other end of the scale.... or am i just too tall for it to be practical for me to ride comfortably....

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Turn the bar stanchions around.

Get 'tall' seat foam.

Sit scrunched up.

.....there's surgery...........;)

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Just FYI....I'm 5'-5" and have a 220 with no lowering mods. I just have to slide my ass off to one side when I stop. Now as far as slow technical riding, I have found not being able to dab my foot down does pose a problem. I've picked myself up more than once due to short legs.

It doesen't matter in the end as long as I get to ride. :aj:

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Turn the bar stanchions around.
DONE
Get 'tall' seat foam.
DONE
Sit scrunched up.
DO
.....there's surgery...........;)
TO EXPENSIVE

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Note the FAQ post at the very top of the JustKDX forums main page. Within it, you'll find handy info like:

You can get longer suspension rods ( http://www.koubalink.com/kdxinstall.html or www.devolracing.com )
You can cut down the seat
You can get another sole placed on your boots
You can get it professionally lowered using spacers to reduce suspension travel.
Before you do any of these, ride the bike a bit longer & see how you go, then decide which option is best for you.
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/sh...p?threadid=8149
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/sh...?threadid=74204

BPJNT

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2001
I'm 5'7" myself and I talked to a Factory Rider for Husky and he had his subframe cut down and welded back together, he tells me RC and others do the same thing. Because the sub frame only holds the rear end up. I would suggest checking with your local shop to see how much is too much.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…