KDX Ignition Theory of Operation

likebikes

Jan 24, 2003
Can anyone tell me how the CDI Ignition works on the KDX?
Specifically what triggers the spark to spark at the right time? I noticed a 1/8 plastic spacer between the magnets on the flywheel. Is that how the CDI box determines when to fire or does it fire based on a build up of voltage? (beginning of the sine wave). Other bikes use a trigger coil and I can understand how that works, but the KDX has me scratching my head!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I can respond with a 'what I think I know.' Seems only reasonable to me...but that doesn't mean it's right. In which case, someone else can correct it.

Yes, it's the 1/8" plastic spacer. Not of course the spacer itself, but what that spacer is sitting between..and that is the poles of the magnet. So, it's the collapse of the field by virtue of the pole passing the exciter/sparky coil.

The CDI does indeed have an ignition 'map' in it that retards the timing about the time the KIPS should kick in. So, timing is determined by the CDI, but the basis of that determination is the passage of the pole.

....he said hopefully.........
;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…