kdx jetting

KDX220R

Jul 9, 2005
Just bought stock 2002 kdx220R

How should it be jetted ? It has good low end power, but the throttle from 1/2 to full doesn't seem to pull the bike any. Cleaned filter,stock silencer-blue gunk out, new plug, 32:1 synthetic oil-gas mix, and it appears to using alot of gas--tank lasts 35 miles or more --but running tight technical trails.
Engine sounds strong and no popping some at smoke at idle.
Should I change jets from the stock set-up? Beginning rider don't know if i'm ready for the expense of the hop-up mods--pipes/silencer, etc. Would like to proceed slowly to make this bike a killer performer, i.e. growup with it.

Tazmanian

Jan 11, 2005
It sounds like my stock kdx when I got knew. I put a FMF Desert pipe and Turbine Core 2 muffler on with Boyesan Power Reeds this woke up the top end power. Also I changed the primary jet to 40 and the main to a 148 this worked good in my area of Georgia-I backed the air screw out 1.5 turns from closed-mod air box lid. Just these mods should help alot. Good Luck!

Old Man Time

Aug 10, 2005

Did you buy it used? Are you sure it's jetted stock? Stock jetting in the 05 model is: 42 slow jet; 145 main with the needle set (dead center) 3rd clip with the airbox lid in place. This jetting is very rich.

I just bought a 05 KDX220. One freebie mod you can make is remove the air box lid under the seat. Relocate the CDI. I relocated mine in the air box on the right upper corner. Then go ride it you will notice quite a bit more over rev (top end). But you may lose a lot of the bottom end. Also you might try a 40:1 fuel mix.

Next step:
Drop the needle in your carb to the 2nd or 1st clip from the top.
to regain the bottom end.

Or install a #40 slow jet and adjust your air screw. Leave needle on the 3rd clip and ride it. If it is still blubbery down low change the needle to the 2nd clip and adjust air screw.

This is the first KDX I have ever owned and I have found everything is a compromise. To gain bottom end you lose top end performance. To gain top end you lose bottom performance.

I have made almost all the bolt on mods to mine (pipe and reeds) and have found that I could have made the stock pipe perform almost as well. You just have to fiddle with the jetting and air box lid to get what you want out of the bike. I have never been able to equal the low end power of a bone stock bike with the after market stuff. The low end pull has been the most disappointing part of the bike. I have had a lot of fun with the bike so far and am having fun fine tuning it. You will be able to grow with the bike. I weigh 250+ lbs and the bike can rip with me on it.

Don't be fooled with all the hype about the add on pipes. You will be surprised at what the stock pipe has to offer. The aftermarket reeds are a nice mod which is relatively cheap. Each mod adds a bit more but most are adding top end at the expense of the bottom. I should have played with the stock set up more before I started buying stuff.

Old Man Time

Aug 10, 2005
StrokesX2 said:
Just a note: going from 32:1 to 40:1 premix will richen up the mixture even more.
Agreed but not near as much as jetting changes make but I think your right about even the premix having an effect on the bike. These bikes have to be jetted soooo spot on that any little thing can effect them. My KX500 leaves a lot more room for error in jetting.

I suggest you play around with different mixes once you get the jetting close to what you want. In fact Im still messing with that myself. A 40:1 mix is safe.

I have even tried a 50:1 mix with Belray MC1 synthetic. Very nice on the top end but did not help the bottom at all. WOT plug test was perfect. I went to 40:1 and plan on experimenting with 32:1 some more also

KDX220R

Jul 9, 2005
Thanks to everyone for such a quick reply -----I just got back from riding with my son and noticed a difference in just cleaning the gunk out of the silencer. I had already removed the snorkel and hesitant to remove the top of the box--- I don't want to lose that low end torque for tight woods riding. But I will fiddle with jets and your suggestions with oil/gas mixes.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…