KDX pipe ?

Blizzo

Apr 11, 2002
Hi from dist. 22 (Iowa) Starting only my 3rd. year hare scramble racing. First bike was a moified KX 250 and am ready to try out a newley aquired 2000 KDX 220. Love this bike it is a blast to ride. The KDX is faster, lap time wise, on local park trail loops, I think because it is better suited to my less than stellar riding ability. I would like to step up the power closer to the old KX though. The MX guys say to put a pipe on it, and I probably will, but there are a lot more options for a KDX than I have ben used to. FMF makes a rev, torque, desert, and woods pipe but I can't find any specs. on just what they all do. I like the idea of leaving the pipe alone and have ben told (by people I suspect have no more knowledge than me) replacing the stock spark arrester with a silencer will gain desired results. I ride some places that require a spark arrester and would switch back and forth if need be, unless some of the after market arresters work well. I need all the help I can get,any suggestions as to what works.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
The best advice is to do a search on this forum for pipes. THis question comes up quite frequently and has been answered quite well in the past. With just a little bit of effort you will find a lot of information.

btw - most riders use the FMF Rev pipe (KG-30) with the KDX220.

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
Yeah, what he said.

crashburn36

Mar 25, 2002
A new pipe without a doubt is going to be the best bang for your buck. After that there are only a few other things you can do to make it have more power. You never said whether you wanted more bottom or top end. But a few other choices would be new reeds (Boyesen Pro Series around $38) which improve throttle response, Reed spacers (pro design around $22) will give you more bottom end, clean air filter, take air filter box off (free) its a little louder but it definitly helps out, make sure your big is jetted correctly, after that the only thing would be to bore it out, i think the largest is 240cc, and you can do several other expensive things in the engine to improve performance. look on the justkdx site for more information, it will give you a step by step guide of how and when to put parts on.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
FMF makes a rev, torque, desert, and woods pipe

Uh...in a word....no

Forget all the (uh...crap) about gnarly, burly, desert, woods and every other word you've heard about FmF pipes.

There are two (2). KG30 (rev) and KG35 (torque) .......period. Reference them by the MODEL NUMBERS... NOT the descriptive terms.

The point of that is some people (even the ones writing the catalogs) call the KG30 for the 220 a 'torque' pipe.

Again....USE THE MODEL NUMBERS (to order, checking to see what you've got, research, whatever) and forget all those meaningless terms. The model number is stamped on one of the mounting flanges. It's not always the same flange, it's not always on the same side.

For the odd time (it has happened) that the MODEL numbers on the pipe are stamped incorrectly, keep this in mind: The KG30 (rev) is considerably larger in diameter at its largest point than the KG35 (torque) is. It's been awhile since I measured the two of mine, but as I recall, the CIRCUMFERENCE of the KG30 (rev) is 14", the KG35 (torque) is 11".

And, yes. Searching this forum for pipe information is an excellent suggestion. But....you know that.

Last edited:

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
canyncrvr, GREAT ADVICE! I ordered a Torque pipe for my bike recently and I'm pretty sure they sent me a Rev. I'm happy with it though since I was torn between the two anyway. I couldn't find the stamp anywhere on the pipe, but I am going to measure the circumference tonight and compare it to your numbers. Thanks for the circumference numbers, it may be the only way to determine what pipe I actually have. Crazy!

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
DAVE C, did you look on the mounting flange (where it bolts to the frame)for the stamp? That's where mine is.

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
OK, now I'm a little confused. I measured the circumference of my expansion chamber last night at its widest part and it measures 12.5 inches (almost exactly). There is no label on either mounting bracket indicating the make of the pipe. I am assuming it is a "REV" pipe b/c it seems to effect mid to top end moreso than bottom end. Oh well, I'm happy anyway (even though I ordered the "Torque" pipe instead and it came with the label that said Torque).

KDXTAZ - what does your mount read? Does it read KG-35?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…