KDX terrible in big sand hill climbs?

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Question for everyone:

Is the 2004 KDX220R supposed to be ok for big, steep sand hill climbs?

Yesterday we went to a local sand pit and tried various huge sand hills. My friends on KTM's, and on a YZF450F went up them no problem. I, on the other hand was struggling with the easy ones, and couldn't make the big ones. Of course my friends tease me about "some kind of problem between the seat and the bars", but I let all three of them try it (very good riders, esp. in the pit) and they all said "not much of a sand pit bike" as they could not climb the big hills either.

So after their ride I asked them what their opinion was on the problem with the bike. They all said the tire spins too much (stock dunlop in good shape). But a couple suspected that the suspension was not designed for pit riding, and so it doesn't "hook up".

Oh, the bike has a stock motor, stock dunlops, and FRP sold me new springs, and gold valves.

So, are the dunlops that come on the bike just a POS, or is the KDX really bad at big sand hill climbs?
I guess what I want to know is will a new michelin S12 in the rear fix this, or will a KDX never be a good sand hill climber?

Thanks,
Phil

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
I think as long as the bike has power all you need is a different tire for that kind of riding. I know my Dunlops don't work too well in the New Jersey sand either bit I can get around OK.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
A sand tire and rider technique would help, but big steep sand hills take lots of power. Like it or not, all of your buddies ride bikes with more power.

Think how much harder it is to push your bike in the sand or up a hill, compared to pushing it on level hard pack. Your motor has to work much harder on sandy hills, and the KDX just doesn't have the power of a good 250 or 450. It does fine on most trails, but big steep sand hills are not a strong point for KDXs.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I've never had any trouble with climbing with my KDX. In fact, it usually climbs better than most 250's because it hooks up so well (little wheel spin).

I'd suspect the tire. If the knobs are rounded, the tire is shot. Many don't want to believe this is true (I change tires often and my friends will say "are you crazy, it still has full knobs") but a rounded knobby, even at full height, will not have very good traction for hill climbing. The center knobs tend to wear before the side knobs...and it's the center knobs you need for hill climbing.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Well the knobs appear pretty good. Maybe the stock dunlop jsut sucks even when in good condition?

And the tire is spinning fast, just doesn't "hook up".

Phil

levert

Jan 29, 2002
Its a 220.
Sand hills require big HP, the 220 excells in low traction conditions.
I still find my best hill climber is my 500, you can't beat a big motor that has tons of torque.I have a KTM 300 that is all done up but it still doesn't have that low end grunt of a big 500 motor.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Other side of Almonte.

Hey - you're in Ottawa. Want to ride this afternoon? My buddy cancelled on me - we were supposed to go to limerick forest...

Phil
I want to ride!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom