motofox2006

Aug 17, 2006
I have a 1991 kdx200 and thinking of upgrading to KX USD front forks.

Does anyone know what year I would need of KX forks and whether I need (125 or 250 forks).

Would I be able to put them on just replacing the triple clamps and not the front wheel and brake caliper as a complete front end gets a little pricey.

Thanks Guys

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
The newer the better as far as performance goes. Check the older threads (search) for info on whether the forks, clapms, etc. hit the tank.

Unless you have some machine work done, they won't bolt up. You will need to buy a KX wheel and brakes to make it a bolt on job.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
I've got a 96 KX125 front end on my 89. Your brake caliper won't fit the KX forks. The bolt pattern is wrong. Your going to need a H series (95+) KDX brake caliper or KX brake caliper. If you want to retain your front wheel you'll need to have a custom axle machined to use it. Unless your a machinest or know one most likely the cheapest and easiest option is just to find the correct wheel and axle for the forks. With the 96 KX125 forks I just barely touch the tank on full side to side lock. I also rub the radiator cap slightly. Neither is a big problem and could be solved with a little bit of shimming.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
morie, thanks. I was wondering about aftermarket vs. OEM on hitting the tank, radiator, etc. I helped a friend put 2000 forks on his 1997 KDX and his Pro Taper clamp REALLY hits the tank.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Keep in mind that i've got an E series KDX with a much different tank/frame configuration. But i've seen a couple of H series KDX with KX front ends and the OEM clamps do hit the tank less than the aftermarket ones.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Oh no need to worry, Mr. MUCH ADO about nothing, to worry on that one. I remembered that you have an E model. I was just curious.

The Pro Taper clamp in question has two sets of handlebar lower clamp bolt holes, so the handlebar clamps can be moved forward or backward (besides swiveled around for further fine tuning). It bulges a little rearward for the rear holes, but I guess that would not hit on a KX motorcycle with KX forks, clamps, tank, radiators, etc.

Top Bottom