KDX200 Woes!!!!!!!!!!

bwallacefan03

Jan 28, 2009
I have a 1992 KDX200, great and fun trail bike. I was recently riding when my throttle housing and tube decided to break, The bike got stuck on full throttle. I shut it down and thought I had fixed the wire and fired it back up. Well guess not, the throttle was stuck on full, I hit the kill switch and the bike wouldnt shut off. Thirty seconds later it finally died (but when it died something didnt sound right). I bought a new throttle cable and an aftermarket throttle setup. Installed it and went to fire up my bike. First thing I noticed was that the kickstarter was hard to kick. My bike hasnt fired up since, I've gotten a few backfires. I've tried firing it up with gas in the plug area. Still nothing. and i've found out that there is a possiblity my bike has been low on transmission fluid.

I'm not sure what to do, any ideas of what happened???

-Jay

longshore58

Dec 31, 2008
What did the plug look like when you removed it just out of curiousity??

I'm kind of wondering if you might be able to push start it and get it fired up without causing any further damage.

You mention possible low trans oil too.

From the low trans oil do you think the clutch might have fried itself if it was still in gear when it ran WFO for 30 seconds after you tried to kill it with the kill switch??

Just guessing I would lean toward the clutch being damaged.

??????????

bwallacefan03

Jan 28, 2009
The plug was a little oily, and i tried swapping a new one, it got spark. the bike sounds like its getting compression.

longshore58

Dec 31, 2008
You said it did not sound right when it finally died........

Can you describe what it did??

I'd try to push start it but the folks on here should be able to give you a diagnosis.

I'm still guessing the clutch gave up the ghost.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
If the kickstarter is hard to move you need to get a look at the piston and make sure all is well. If it busted a skirt you could have bits down in the crankcase locking it up or causing resistance. Pull the pipe and have a look in there first.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
julien_d said:
If the kickstarter is hard to move you need to get a look at the piston and make sure all is well. If it busted a skirt you could have bits down in the crankcase locking it up or causing resistance. Pull the pipe and have a look in there first.

From your description, I'd say julien is on the right track. I'd pull the head and cylinder, but it sounds like you may not be comfortable doing that.
You have a serious internal problem, but possibly not the ability to diagnose it. Only solution: take it to a motorcycle mechanic, one who is experienced in two-strokes.

(Next time a bike won't shut down, just put it in gear...3rd or 4th preferably, lock the rear brake, and let out the clutch...)

bwallacefan03

Jan 28, 2009
I'll get a look inside the crankcase as soon as i can and keep you guys updated, thanks for the advice

longshore58

Dec 31, 2008
``

I am VERY likely 100% wrong about the clutch possibly being the culprit.

The explanations you folks offered are 99% probably right on the money but I hope the gentleman with the bike problem does not go looking for the piston....

.... "inside the crankcase."

blarp23

Dec 16, 2008
Hey guys, Just pulled the head mins ago and got a look at the piston. Piston looks pretty solid the rings on top of it are in good shape. The kickstarter is still extremely hard to push down, And I can see plenty of antifreeze down in the crank case. Any ideas on where to go from here. If you guys have any suggestions or need pics I'll be more than willing to take ideas.

-Jay
bwallacefan03

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Just having the head off will not let you examine the piston and rings properly. Pull the cylinder.
Coolant in the crankcase is bad news....time to start tearing the engine down and find the problem. I know you may not want to do that, but you really have no choice if you want to ride it again.

Mud

blarp23

Dec 16, 2008
I got the entire top end off. And can see that coolant down in the crankcase. Where do you recommend to start taking apart?

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
blarp23 said:
Where do you recommend to start taking apart?
I recommend starting by getting a service manual. Kawasaki makes the best one. It may seem like a lot of $$, but it will save money in the long run.
Then, just follow the instructions.

blarp23

Dec 16, 2008
I just dont want to take it all apart for nothing, i know there is a problem but where do you think the point of the problem is?

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Cosely examine all the parts you have taken off so far. If you are lucky, the problem will be with the head or base gasket.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…