kdx220 mounting Acerbis rally pro help

sreich

Apr 22, 2004
I've just purchased and received a pair or Acerbis Rally Pro brush guards for my 2004 kdx220 to replace the stock ones. The handle bars are stock and I went to mount them last night and could get the piece that clamps on the bar to work but what about the piece that goes into the handle bar itself on the end. What came with the kit seems too long it only goes in about half way. Anyone have any experience installing these? Thanks!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Only goes in 1/2 way?

Maybe this has changed, but the stock bars on the KDX used to have plugs welded at the ends that had to be removed/modified for guard install. These plugs were easily visible, not recessed into the bar. They could be drilled/tapped (my choice) or removed completely, that commonly done by cutting off the end of the bar or grinding the welds and pulling the plug out.

Are these plugs the problem you are referring to?

sreich

Apr 22, 2004
Maybe that's what I'm seeing...I started on the throtle side and about 2 inches into the throttle grip there is a piece of metal with a small hole in it. I thought about drilling it out but didn't know if it was part of anything else or would damage anything.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
If you plan to keep running the stock bars, then you will have to address this. Personally, I think the stock bars are too wide. So, I took a pipe cutter and went through the outer bar, then I used a hack saw to cut through the inserted plug. When the entire bit falls off, it's easy to get the rest of the plug out, then you can proceed with the regular installation.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I don't recall the plug on the RH side being so far recessed. Either that changed or I recall wrong. More likely the latter.

Good luck drilling it out. I didn't have any luck with that. As I mentioned drilling/tapping the hole and changing the attaching hardware to a bolt as opposed to the slip/joint fit of the guards worked fine.

Maybe your bars are bent? Have you checked? I'm SURE they are. So..you need a new set!!! The aftermarket bars you get won't have this 'problem.' ;)

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
canyncarvr said:
I don't recall the plug on the RH side being so far recessed. Either that changed or I recall wrong. More likely the latter.

Good luck drilling it out. I didn't have any luck with that. As I mentioned drilling/tapping the hole and changing the attaching hardware to a bolt as opposed to the slip/joint fit of the guards worked fine.

Maybe your bars are bent? Have you checked? I'm SURE they are. So..you need a new set!!! The aftermarket bars you get won't have this 'problem.' ;)

I agree, I don't remember the right side one being recessed that far either. Doesn't matter to me since I put on Renthals on day one, but I did end up using those bars later on my bro's KDX.

Those solid plugs can be a bit of a pain to get out.

sreich

Apr 22, 2004
Well maybe I should just look at getting some new bars while I'm at it...so now the question of what to get...I'm sure there are plenty of threads to research on this topic.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
What someone else loves for bars in sweep, height and width won't matter a whole lot...it's your bike!

But, yes..there are plenty of threads regarding what's 'best' for different individuals.

I know stock bars didn't last too long on my bike...single piece top clamp or not. The cheap flys I bought didn't last much longer. The renthals (7/8) I've had for years (same single piece top clamp) have survived some pretty big hits and are still (knock-knock-knock) fine. CR-HI bend. They could be a bit narrower but not a big deal. If it bothered me I'd cut 'em.

Good luck!

...you can buy a tap and a couple of bolts for less $$ than a new set of bars! ;)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
If you want to go to oversize bars, MXSouth has pretty good prices on Pro Tapers ($80 ish) and also Moose Flex bars ($65). Just ordered a set of Pro Tapers, Hawkins High bend, myself. :)

Top Bottom