codyrobert

Oct 31, 2005
I plan to get back into dirt biking after 25 years. I like the KDX and am leaning towards it. I know this is a KDX forum, but can anyone give me some feedback on the KLX300 vs. the KDX? It seems as though it may be a good tradeoff as the weight increase is minimal, hence handling should be very close... Is HP much less on the KLX? I will be riding woods/trails. THx.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The KLX is very nimble and quite light. It handles very well. Like the KDX, the suspension is not state of the art but works OK for medium trais speeds after you add stiffer fork springs.

Like most 4 strokes, the KLX makes usable power over a wider rpm range than a two stroke, so you shift a little less.

In stock condition, the KLX is somewhat under powered (it's stronger than a stock XR250, but has much less low end than an XR400 and much less power everywhere than a DRZ400). The bike really is transformed with suspension mods, a big bore high compression piston and a different carb. The mods are not necessary for casual trail riding, but if you are agressive and intend to push the bike hard, you will want to modify it.

Jul 25, 2005
the kdx220 is very low end orientated. it always has power except for top end you can always outrun the klx300. it has alot of snap and if you floor it and pull you can get a very nice wheelie in 4th gear.( a lot of fun :aj: ). I say 2 stroke power over the klx300. took it up a trail in the washington cascades went from 2000 to 6000 in less than 3 miles. didnt fall. didnt stall hardly had to use clutch just 1st and 2nd gear. you can lug it like a 4 stroke though.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
The KLX is a notorious hard starter when hot. It's also considerably heavier than the KDX, and doesn't have nearly the hop up potential. I've ridden both, I own a KDX. :) It fells far more nimble than the 4 stroker, and can easily be made much faster. Plus when the engine is hot it only takes a kick to start. The same can't always be said for the KLX (my friend had a piped one, more often than not we push started it when hot, proper jetting would have helped him though).

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Seems I recall reading that the KLX has a lot less ground clearence as well?

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
i say go for the KLX 300. i know a guy that i rode with him for about a 1/4 of a trail till i dumped my KDX 175 and turned around and went back to where we started from. it goes like a bat outta hell. plus you use less gas cuz its a 4 stroke. yay 4 strokes rule..... oh and everyone that owns a kdx is gonna tell you to get a kdx. but everyone with a klx300 is gonna tell you to get one. go for the klx300

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
I won't say get a KDX because I own one, I wil say it because I am a guy who returned to the sport after 12 years at close to 40. I LOVE my KDX 200 it cost me 1300 bucks to find a comfortable re-entry that gives me both the plush comfort of an early bike with the power and controlability of a contemporary 4 stroke. To be honest, I can't see myself in any 4 stroke less powerful than a 400 now.

Go for the 220, you will not be dissapointed, in fact, you'll be thrilled.

Krioni

Jan 14, 2002
I just returned to riding after being out of it for close to 15 years.

I purchased a KLX 300 (1997) from someone here on DRN.

Anyway, I have never ridden the KDX, but I can say that the KLX is a ton of fun to ride and is pretty forgiving for someone just getting back into riding. It has plenty of power for me.

Bottom line, I think you'll be happy with either bike... they're both great bikes, so i'd just get whichever you can get your hands on for a reasonable price (since it's going to be hitting the ground, i'm sure).

Good Luck!

Top Bottom