KDX250 spark plug selection

patty

Jan 25, 2001
My local shop was out of BR7ES plugs (I ride in a cold climate). I was in a pinch so I decided to try a BP7ES (projected insulator, no resistor) and my KDX250 is running like never before. Its not that I had any running issues to begin with but my throttle response has never been this clean and I even have more power at full throttle.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
When I asked NGK about projected tip plug use in kdxs, they said:

He said every week he had requests from riders that NGK pay for their broke bikes....broken due to projected tip sparkplug use.

My $.02 (not that anyone asked)..a projected tip plug figures to be about 1/2 step hotter than its corresponding 'regular' brother. The spark isn't any 'hotter' or 'better'...so the improvement to your bike likely is due to the plug staying cleaner.

...which it would with, say a BR7xxx, too...if the jetting was a bit sharper.

Yes I understand the projected tip sticks out further into the chamber and thus may be figgered to light the A/F mixture better. Whatever its advantage, perceived or actual, it wouldn't matter it the tip fell off!

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…