zeerx

Jan 25, 2003
I've gone through 2 levers and bosses because of kicking the bike over. The lever and boss peen each other over and eventually the lever goes past 90 degrees when folded out. So after much cutting, grinding, drilling, grinding, and grinding I fabricated a part to stop the wear. It's crude but it works. Because of the thickness of the part thread locker and safety wire is used.

000_1410.jpg

000_1414.jpg

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
LOL, love it!

I took a kicker off a '95 KX. The boss hole was too small so I drilled it out to -just- too small. Then cut through the boss, along the now absent spline grooves. Tapped it on and took it off several times to score new spline grooves, and viola! A poor man's aluminum kicker!

Warning!! Do not try this stunt at home! It was performed by a biological sciences major with spare parts and chinese power tools. The first time the bike started with the adulterated kicker made the time and effort worth it. When it fails at some future date, I'm OK with it!

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Nice work, zeerx. I found it easier to just build up the peened areas with weld, file them to shape, and reassemble. The problem hasn't reoccured in over a year.

samiam

Jan 3, 2000
craig_enid said:
LOL, love it!

I took a kicker off a '95 KX. The boss hole was too small so I drilled it out to -just- too small. Then cut through the boss, along the now absent spline grooves. Tapped it on and took it off several times to score new spline grooves, and viola! A poor man's aluminum kicker!

Craig, that is very interesting information. I had read about using an '89 lever, with the stock KDX boss, but I was thinking along the lines of what you did, although I probably would have disassembled the kick start mechanism and used a press to broach the splines with the shaft, instead of hammering on it with the mechanism in place.
I was thinking that a kick start lever of of almost any 125 MXer would probably work...
Thanks for the information!

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
At some time in the foggy past, it seems I'd found one that was a straight swap. I remember it as an '86 KX 125 that slid onto the KDX shaft with no problems.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Somebody did something like that on mine... nice little aluminum kickstarter with a nice short throw. Both the knuckle and the lever are different then stock...

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
NIce piece of work, canuck, but were you getting ready to BBQ that puppy?
Or, maybe you had it on the grill to facilitate drying of the fresh paint....?
:yikes: :p

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Some previous owner put some kind of short aluminum kicker on my 200, not sure if it's the Fredette unit, but it looks about the same dimensions.

I like it MUCH better then the stock steel kicker, FWIW.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
The shorter kicker is much nicer then the longer kicker. I am using the shorter kicker, and like it, and still had to weld and grind.

Now that you mention it though, I could section out and re-weld the whole kicker and shorten the stock unit easy enough...

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I have no problems with the long kicker, though I am going to see if the splines and kicker work from a spare blaster kicker I have (its real short and has a pedal on it)

Top Bottom