MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Any News Shock?

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Yes and no. Andy didn't bring his 03 to the races Sunday, he brought his 05. I forgot all about looking at the kickstart but I'm sure it's the same thing. I'm going to over to his place to work on the track watering system this week so I'll bring my lever and pull his 03 apart while I'm there. His bike was getting lots of attention as it was the first 05 to hit our local tracks this year so I just left it alone.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
OK, That sounds good. I am really thankful that you are persueing this because I will put one on my bike if it fits. I am really dissapointed in this, the most basic of items on a motorcycle. I LOVE the bike but this kick starter issue needs to be fixed as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for keeping me updated on what's going on.

Mike

windsor427

Apr 10, 2004
Mike,
I have an 01' yz250 same problem.
I usually leave the bike on the stand, then I stand with the throttle near my right shoulder facing towards the back of the bike, then kick the starter straight back with my right foot using a quick jab like a karate kick and blipping the throttle with my right hand. The only thing getting use to is which way to blip throttle. This procedure works incredibly well for me. When I am not near my bike stand, I start it in the usual manner, but it is usually hot and seems to have less compression.
Try this and let me know what you think.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I'll give it a go however I still want to see what Shocknut finds out. It really is a shame since this is such a nice bike.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Well, it's a no go on the knuckle post. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Mike. I'll let you know how my full conversion turns out if you care at all. I ordered the parts today. And... I rode the 05 YZ 250 today too and first kick was nice of course. That new lever is soooo much better.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Oh, MAN! I was hoping that would be the ticket. :(
So, what are you getting to make this conversion?

The kick starter, kick starter gear? something else? How much is all of that?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
windsor427 said:
Mike,
I have an 01' yz250 same problem.
I stand with the throttle near my right shoulder facing towards the back of the bike, then kick the starter straight back with my right foot using a quick jab like a karate kick and blipping the throttle with my right hand.
Well, since this might be my only option let me get this straight. You put your chest up close to the bars and kick straight back instead of down?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Shocknut said:
I bought the 02 case seal, 02 kick gear assembly and 02 lever assembly. It cost me about $160.
Ouch! That hurts. :bang: Tell me how it goes.

Mike

dnrtheil

Mar 18, 2003
Save yourself some money and time and just reposition your foot on the kick start lever. I also have an '02 YZ. Use the toe of your riding boot, there is no need for your boot to go under the peg, yes you will get the occasional slip, that is why the riding boots come in handy.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
dnrtheil said:
I also have an '02 YZ.
So you have a 2000 YZ250 and a 2002 YZ250? You just kick it with your toe/front portion of your boot?

dnrtheil

Mar 18, 2003
Sorry, I miss typed. I have a 2000 YZ 250, just one dirt bike. But Yes, I do just use the toe/front part of my boot to get the bike started. I recommend not using gym shoes when starting like this, (using your toes) the kick start lever leaves quite a bruse on your shin if your toe slips off.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I only start my bike with my boots on but I'll give your method a try.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Shocknut, did you get the parts yet? How did it go?

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
What I'm doing is expensive. What you could do is buy the 02 kick lever assembly and have your 2000 knuckle post machined to match the 02 knuckle post. If you know somebody that can do it for you it will be cheaper then what I'm doing of course. It's about the only other option to a complete expensive upgrade and a good machinist can make it happen for you. I just don't care, in the end it will be soooo worth it. I've already nearly ruined the sole of my right boot from them catching the teeth on the Fastway pegs. Right up near the base of my toes the inside edge of my boot sole is torn up pretty good. I have an old spare 00 kick lever thats worn out. I'll try to get it machined and see how that turns out. It will be a little while before I bother with it though, got too much other stuff going on right now.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
So, the steel knuckle shaft on the 2000 is a larger diameter than the 2002? You think machining that down would make it fit in the smaller hole on the 02 lever?

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Yes sir, i beleive it could be done by any competent machinist. Check the spring hole depth, might have to use the 02 spring and ball. even so, you could easily shorten the 00 spring if needed.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
So, have your parts arrived yet?
Take some photos if you can while you do the switch.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Anything yet?

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
5 pages and growing about a kickstarter? :yikes: Im sure glad you guys aren't building a space ship! :rotfl:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
No, no spaceship here. I still wanna know if he ever got it going.

Top Bottom