DaveD

May 2, 2002
Riding last weekend and did an un-intentional front wheelie on a rocky down hill. I was banging rocks all day with the stock kickstand. There must be a better stand that tucks away (like on the my buddys KTM) that will fit my KDX 01.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I don't know of a better stand but if ya search the messages I recall seeing where a guy modified his KDX to use a KTM type stand. I think it did require some welding/fabrication though.

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
Dave...
I did some careful grinding on the kick stand and the stopper, which let it go up higher and closer to the swing arm. I stopped when it was about 1/4 to 3/8 inch away. It's a little harder to put down now, but much more out of the way.

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I haven't had problems with the kickstand sticking out too far (perhaps the opposite). My problem is that the stinking kickstand won't hold my bike up (even on the nice hard, flat slab in my garage).

This is a big problem for me because I am teaching my son to ride. He falls alot and I have to get off and help him up and get him going again.

I think the problem is that it I somehow (perhaps on a fall) bent the mounting bracket (or the stand itself) so that the stand doesn't stick out far enough when it's down (which may be why I don't have problems when it's up). It also seems to go too far forward when its down (I have to try to put the weight on it in a manner where the bike doesn't push the stand too far forward. Has anyone else had similar problems? If so did you replace just the bracket or did you do the whole kickstand?

DaveD

May 2, 2002
I forgot to mention, it is not long enough, too. The #@$%^ thing barely hold the bike up on hard/flat ground.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
When my bike's on the kickstand, it leans over at about a 45 degree angle and when it's up and I'm ridin', it bounces around so much that I keep waiting for it to come down and catapult me. :(

Dazza

Jan 1, 2002
Don't have a problem.
Took it off!One less thingh to stick into you when you come off.
I ride mainly in the ****(Woods) so I find that a tree works for leaning against.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I took mine off when one of the bolts stripped out (yes, it loosened & eventually stripped out). I haven't missed it as mine was bent too & wouldn't hold the bike up. It fell onto a stump at one stage & bent the radiator so I wasn't too impressed (esp. when finding out a new radiator was NZ$700). Now the bike either goes against a tree or on the ground (with fuel turned off).
As for when helping/following/leading kids, I'd spend more time trying to get the bike to stay standing than helping the kid, so find it's quicker now.

Top Bottom