kickstarter

maxigrip

May 17, 2002
my kickstart lever is wornout. i was wanting to get any ideas how to fix it.when you pull it out to start it goes beyond 90degrees. it also folds in to far.is there a fix, or should i buy a new one? are the fredette ones better than stock? or do they last the same amount of time? thanks for any advice.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I think they're 'on sale' right now, too!

You'll need a new knuckle. Don't mess with the old one, cuz it will just hose your new lever.

The lever comes w/o o-rings. It is a VERY tight fit WITH o-rings. Be prepared to swear at it some when you try to make'm fit.

Your detent spring is likely no good. Either get a new one'a those or (better yet) buy a suitable compression spring from a hardware store. The oem spring is junk. Probably a new circlip, too. The old one doesn't keep its tension real good. Consider it like a wristpin clip.

**Note**
There is a note that accompanies (usually) the FRP lever that has CRITICAL information on its install. Of particular note is that a worn footpeg can allow the kicker to contact the RH engine cover when the lever is fully extended. Failure to resolve this interference will likely lead to extensive damage to the cover. Make sure you have clearance at that point!

There are a couple of other notes that are important, but no big deal.

It takes awhile to get used to the different arc and length.

You'll be happy with it! It will last a whole lot longer'n the oem potmetal goober (don'tcha like those technical terms? ;) ).

**Grease it good when you put it together. Lubrication in this area will keep you from attacking it at some point with a cutoff airtool cuz the bugger WON'T come off!!

.....how would I know anything about that........??

Cheers!

BTW...before I bought my FRP lever, I 'fixed' the oem unit at least three times. Various grinding, welding, drilling and pinning (AND cussing!). At about $.05/hr, I prolly bought 2-3 FRP levers in the process !!

Last edited:

TOFAS4YOU

Jan 4, 2002
I MADE MINE FROM AN 89 KX 125 USED ONLY THE UPPER HALF,THE SPINLE PART WAS MY OEM PART WORKS GREAT AND DOES NOT BEND LIKE FRP

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I've heard that FRP may have changed the design on their lever. I hope so, because the one I bought a couple of years ago was too soft and only lasted a couple of months before the face that contacts the knuckle gouged out to the point that the lever was useless.

fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
I JUST GOT MINE TODAY NOT THAT GOOD THAY HAVE A SHEET THAT TELL YOU THAT YOU NEED TO GRIND SOME OF THE LEVER TO FIT AND TRIM YOUR OIL PLUG WELL IT SEEMS TO ME THAT SOMEONE THERE NEEDS TO GET A NEW ENGINEER

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Other than grinding the top to miss the frame, the bottom to clear the RH cover, and the oil filler (if that concerns you)..it 'fits' fine! ;)

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
When I reworked my KDX after it was stolen, the gorilla that took it bent the kicker a little but wore the knuckle pretty badly. If the lever should be 90-degrees when out mine witn out about 120-degrees ;/

I was able to straigten it, and have a local welder 'rebuild' the knuckle for a 12-pack of Dr. Pepper. That saved me quite a bit. I have to do a little filing to make it perfect. Cleaning the 'gunk' out make the spring and ball engage again.

Might be worth a try.

-MD

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…