firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
Last year I took my 9 year old to Florence, OR to do some dune riding on his KX 60. It is a totally stock bike and had dirt tires. He actually did pretty well on that bike on the hard, wet sand and small dunes (he got a lot of looks and thumbs up being the smallest bike out there). He absolutely loved riding there and wants to do more dune riding. He is now 10, but is very small (65 lbs.) so he is still on the 60. My question is if I take him to do more sand/dune riding should I buy a paddle for the bike? I can get one from Skattrack with 4 paddles on it. Also should I jet the bike richer for this type of riding? Anyone take their kids to the dunes, or is it too challenging for the little ones? Like I said, he did well on the small stuff and picked it up pretty fast. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Gotta admit, I have little experience in sand, but will a 60 turn a paddle?

motoB

Mar 6, 2002
Hey Fighter

My son and friends go to Glamis all the time. He started on an xr88 in the flats.
He is now 11 on a Kx65. I got a paddle from Rocky...
He absolutely loves it. Jet alittle richer yes. I only do the main I think 220 or 230. I went down 2 teeth from stock on the rear.
Added 50 cc to the forks.
He now hangs the big bowls with me on my 250.
Now he wants an 85 but thats another story.
If you have any ?'s we'll get ya figured out.
Brian

forgot to add we both run 100LL at 40:1 with amsoil

Last edited:

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
motoB,

Thanks for the advice. We will definetely do the suspension and jetting changes as well as change the sprocket. How many paddles on your sons tire? I was told 4 was enough for that small of a bike. Does your son's bike have a stock pipe or aftermarket? Do you do any other prep for riding the dunes like a prefilter for the air filter? Any problems with his bike running hot? My son can't wait to get back out on the dunes asap. He likes it and says it is way better than trail riding. I have a KDX , but am thinking about going to a KX 250 if we do a lot of sand riding. We also have been going back and forth on when to move him up to a KX 80/85. Those bikes seem like they are more for the 12/13 year old. Do you see many kids on bikes at Glamis or is it mostly quads. We never see any kids on bikes under the age of 16 here in Oregon on the dunes, strictly quads. Thanks for your help and keep the info coming, my son and I really appreciate it. There isn't anyone around here who seems to have this kind of info.Thanks again.

motoB

Mar 6, 2002
Fighter,
glad I could finally chime in here with so help for someone :) .
The 65 has a stock pipe, the only real prep is to keep the filter
clean. Been thinking of those filter skins for ease of use. We do check the water level in the radiator before each ride. I would probably try sticking w/ stock gearing for a 60 at first w/ a paddle and see how it does. I believe the one we have is a 6 paddle, I know mine cr250 is an 8.

Ya 80/85's are kinda tall, my son is kinda short. He really likes the expert modes due to the bigger wheels rollin easier.

There are very few kids on bikes in the big bowls, and we always get a thumbs up. Alot of kids are on blasters,300ex and 400's. I a;so see a bunch of kids ridin dads 450's and banshees. I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT. :| Different rant thought.

Anyway sorry to carry on, but We absolutely love the dunes. By the way we also go to the Cinder Hills in Flagstaff. They got hills that make Glamis look like an ant hole. :yikes:

Brian

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
motoB,

Thanks for the help, its appreciated. Like I said, not many people to go to as a resource for this stuff. I am not sure why people are afraid to take their kids to the dunes on their bikes. I started riding the dunes on my dual shock XR 100 when I was 9 or 10 and I loved it. Maybe with all of the quads out their for kids people think it is safer. I think a kid who learns how to ride a dirt bike well is less likely to get hurt that on a quad which can give a kid a false sense of security. Anyway, we love the dunes and cant wait to get back out there soon. I am going to call Skat Trak and ask them what paddle they suggest since to make paddles for kids bikes. Do you jet his Kx65 any richer for dune riding? Does his paddle rub on anything? Thanks again for your help. We will let you know how our next trip at the dunes goes.

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
I just talked to a shop in southern cal who sells paddles and he suggested a 5 paddle for the KX60. I ordered 1 and its on its way. I also found a rear wheel on *****bay and will try to get that for the paddle setup. Anyone have any suggestions about jetting his bike for the dunes?

motoB

Mar 6, 2002
I run a 230 main in the 65. One step richer than here
in Phoenix. Even though it is a 4-5 hour drive
elevation is only about 500' lower. Alittle drier and
temps about the same.
Like I said we run 100LL @ 40:1 w/ Amsoil.
I did lose a bottom end once out there on the 65,
but I tried VP and didn't richen any farther.
5 paddles would probably be the best option.
With the smaller rear sprocket I was able to move the
rear wheel back and clear the mud flap, stock it rubbed alittle.
Also depending on the width make sure the
paddles don't catch the chain. My buddy's CR500
does and we just ground down the very corner edge.

I tell you what That Dirtrider.net CR500AFX would
definitely be the toy to have in the dunes ;)

Brian

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
motoB,
Thanks again for the help. I rode a CR500 in my younger days at the dunes and there wasn't a thing that could keep up with it. I rode a buddies last year at the dunes and still was an awesome hair raising ride. But, we went trail riding and my KDX killed his 500 in the woods. Two bikes, one for dunes, and one for trail riding would be perfect. Now if I could only convince my wife of that.

Anyone else out there take there smaller bikes out on the dunes? I would love to hear what your experience was like, or any bike prep you did.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom