jake760

Jun 1, 2008
Hi, lately I've been taking my KTM 250 exc to the dunes, I was wondering if there is anything I should be keeping an eye on when taking my bike in the sand, I really don't want to break it. I've been cleaning the air filter after every ride in the sand, I put it back on with grease to seal it, changing trans oil after ever 2 rides, and thoroughly pressure washing the bike after every ride in the sand. I keep the cables cleaned and oiled. I pulled the spark plug and it is a dark brown color, and there is a little oil dripping out the silencer so I'm assuming the jetting is rich enough. It's never boiled over. The only thing the sand seems to be ruining so far is the chain. Anything else I should be maintaining after a trip to the dunes?

YZ-212

Jan 8, 2003
I've been riding the dunes in Southern California for a few years and from your post it sound you're up to par. Most engine problems there are a result of running to lean for the load. Depending on the weather I jet up 2 - 3 on the main jet on my yz144.

Have fun the dunes are a blast.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
you will need to clean and re-grease all your bearing, sand gets in every spot possible. other than that you sound to be pretty spot on. Keep an eye on your jetting.

Top Bottom