kind of random but rank the best riders of all time in ur opinion

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
you can't count JBS's 125 records he was sandbagging for a year

and I agree JMB is a great but I don't think he ever beat Bradshaw at his prime, up until he hurt himself on that step up Bradshaw was a different rider, he was never as fast as he was before that injury.

and yes I am biased, was a huge Bradshaw fan during my formative years, even though the ******* had me wearing gear with pink on it for a couple years, my family and friends still bring up the sissy gear

Voxshall

Nov 23, 2005
I'm talking about 91 what year did Bradshaw get hurt??? I am a huge fan of the Bradshaw vs Chicken battles.

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
yeah was 90 or 91 and Bayle was beating him accdording to ama history pdf on amamotocross.com so my memories are just fading hehe

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
am thinking 92 was the year I had my nose buried in Bradshaw's backside, he won sacramento mx, anaheim and san jose sx that year, my dad took me to all of those races that year.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
RC
DeCoster
Hana
Bailey
Johnson
MC
Bubba
Reed
Windham (My favorite)

I am biased to outdoors as I feel this is real racing. (men from boys) Thats why I have MC,Reed, and such at the bottom.
Great riders very technical but the hard work to ride in the elements just impresses me. Stuff with engines were just ment to be outside. :p

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Falta = :cool: Because he did what he did on the equipment he was on. He was riding SX on CZ for cryin' out loud! I'm not sayin' he's one of the all-time greats but he's one of the all-time coolest.

250 SX wins by brand:
Brand........# of Wins, Year of 1st SX Win, Rider
Honda........185...........1976, Marty Smith
Yamaha......135...........1974, P. Karsmakers
Kawasaki......69...........1976, J. Weinert
Suzuki..........40...........1976, T. Distefano
Can-Am.........7............1975, J. Ellis
Bultaco.........1.............1974, J. Pomeroy
CZ ..............1.............1974, Jaroslav Falta

May 4, 2006
giving away my age here, but in 1989 at the Dallas Supercross in Texas Stadium, I was there and witnessed the incredible. there was a long straight away that consisted of a double and then a triple and everyone was doing just that, Jeff Stanton was in the lead and Guy Cooper was right on his ass. Cooper blasted around the corner at warp speed while Stanton was just hitting the face of the of the double. Cooper must have been full f**king throttle into and out of the corner berm and never let off the gas because he Sinco'd the whole series of jumps, and not only did he pass Stanton in mid air, he table topped almost flat, landed perfectly and even made the corner which was only 15 or so feet past the last landing. Of course, Stanton passed him before the lap was over and went on for the win, but that was so awesome, I have to say I have never seen anything like that from any other rider ever. you would have to have been there, I would love to have footage of it or hear someone elses view of it, I haven't done it justice here. word, ben

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
yeah Cooper was fun to watch, probably still is. He was one of the most photogenic guys for the mags too. They always had pictures of him jumping some crazy thing he built with his bulldozer. Hard to believe he never had a 250 win, I saw him come close a couple times, bad luck always bit him when he was close to a win

May 4, 2006
Does anyone here remember Micky Diamond? I hate to turn this thread into nostalgia about could have beens and perpetual bridesmaids, but that was another guy who was incredible, but I don't think he ever won any titles, maybe he won 125 MX and then kinda disappeared. I think he listened to Janes Addiction too much and it messed up his mind.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Don't know about Mickey Diamond.

But there was a guy named Micky Dymond who was pretty good, too. :)

He did get eight 125cc overalls and two outdoor titles on a factory Honda. Before that, he rode for the Husky factory. I think he was racing 250 nationals when he was 17.

May 4, 2006
Same guy, wonder whatever happened to him. If you break this thread down to greatest SX then it is Jeremy McGrath, greatest MX Ricky Carmichael, but lets not forget James Stewart winning every single heat race he was in and also the most supercross victories of the season, yes, Canada does count as much as I hate to admit it. how about the greatest riders who just never quit riding and racing award? Jeff Ward and Guy Cooper have to be up there somewhere, I think Wards idea of retirement from racing will be to do the Baja 1000 on a BMW dual sport, Cooper will do it on a souped up pit bike.

mxcoach

Mar 17, 2003
hines
lafferty
lojack
smith
smith
smith
hoess
lafferty
bobbit
burelson
quinn
sigity
cunninghan
herbie schwartz
phil carlin
kopp
jerry lewis :bang:

sala??
juha
edminston
the best ever is knight??
is this about enduro HS or MX or best rider

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Guy Cooper is a natural. His older brother tells us stuff that you just stand there and listen with your jaw on the ground. Best of all time? DeCoster in his prime was the picture of fluid motion only eclipsed by Malcom Smith. I'm with Phillip, champions outdoors have it all together.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
1) RC
2) Stefan Everts (Add a ISDE win!!! Amazing...just wrong side of the pond for us to pay attention..also RC has him completely covered on Euro turf witness MXDN's over the years.)
3) MC
4) Bob Hannah
5) Joel Roberts
6) Roger DeCoster

Its about domination at the highest levels in their time over a PERIOD of time.

Other guys worth recognition (AMA as there are a bunch of FIM guys who were REALLY good)?

1) Ricky Johnson (Wrist injury ended his career)
2) Jeff Ward (Just never stopped trying..had a stellar mini career too)
3) Broc Glover (Another never say quit type)
4) Gary Jones (Won on all kind of things and still makes impact in this MX world)
5) Tony DiStefano (Put Suzuki on the map..an eye injury ended his riding career)
6) JMB (Came over and started the French influence...dusted our best as James
Stewart has done in SX....then went home to play road racing. Guess we
bored him)

Best candidates to be on that top list???

1) James Stewart WILL be there..only a matter of time.
2) Davi Millsaps is a suprise if any one is watching.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
How can people put Everts so high?? Haven't US racers that have gone to MXDN that are not even close to making this "best of all time" list gone over and smoked him???

Voxshall

Nov 23, 2005
I guess Everts is rated high because he has won so many championships. Des Nations is a pretty short championship but if you look at Ben Townley beating Windham and Windham being runner up in the AMA Mx and Everts beating Townley a lot of those guys have all beaten each other. Except RC who has been awesome.

I think we need two catagories one for exciting riders one for champions. Guy, Chicken, Bradshaw and the Rock in his early years were all really exciting and JS and Villo are the exciting riders of today Grant has moments two.

Last edited:

MOTO ON RM250

Aug 10, 2007
Kinda an old thread but...

1. Ricky Carmichael
2. Jeremy McGrath
3. James Stewart
4. Ricky Johnson
5. David Bailey
6. Travis Pastrana
7. Stefan Everts

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Best rider? Sorry, motocrossers don't really cut it in a 'best rider of all time' contest.

In my opinion:
Juha Salminen, David Knight, Giovanni Sala, Malcolm Smith, etc. Yes, RC and the rest of the mx crew are talented riders, but motocross is such a small part of the offroad motorcycle discipline that you can't honestly say they're the best.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Rider or racer?,, all dirt or just SX/MX..

For me Racers.
All dirt
1. Malcolm Smith.
2. RC
3. Kenny Roberts
4. John Penton

Racers MX/SX
1. RC
2. MC
3. Rodger DeCoster
4. Marty Tripes

I like TP, but not sure how he could one of the greatest when he never won an SX title?

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
I think you are wrong, a few of the expert enduro riders I ride with said in motocross they race novice class. They also say if you can ride motocross you can ride anything. I am an unbiased trail rider. I wish it wasn't true.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
RMZRyder said:
I think you are wrong, a few of the expert enduro riders I ride with said in motocross they race novice class. They also say if you can ride motocross you can ride anything. I am an unbiased trail rider. I wish it wasn't true.

I agree and disagree with that statement. I race the A class offroad, but am a C rider on the motocross track. I'm riding more and more motocross to get my speed up. So I agree with your first statement. I don't agree with if you can ride motocross, you can ride anything. Far from it. Motocrossers usually excel at speed. They have to because that's what motocross is. But a lot of them lack the technical skills to make it through difficult terrain. Not all, but a lot of them do.

This is why I think World Enduro and ISDE competitors (usually europeans) are the best riders in the world. In order to do well at the ISDE or WEC, you have to pin it in the special tests (which are essentially short motocross races) but the trails can get pretty technical and the WEC races also have 'extreme' tests which are just plain gnarly, terrain wise.

Yes, running two 45 minute motos going balls out is tough and it takes a damn good rider to win it all, but try riding 8 hours a day for 2-6 days in a row riding at an expert trail pace then pinning it for 10 minutes x 6 special tests a day, plus add maintaining your bike into the mix (without help).

Knight, Salminen, Aro, Sala, etc, etc, etc. These guys are the best in the world (in my not-so-humble opinion).

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
My opinion differs Speedy. Last year, a few motocross guys and I went to an endurocross towards the end of the season. Simon Homans (#4) was there, he smoked the previous year's champion who always wins these types of races. A motocross racer will have some difficulty in the technical sections if he has never ridden this type of terrain before, but as soon as he figures it out, I bet he can compete with the top guys riding this stuff. And from my experience, it is easier learning the technical stuff rather than figuring out how to go fast and win motocross races.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…