HUSKwKDX

Oct 4, 2001
It's time to look at my kips valve ('90 KDX200) and probably clean them up. It appears from reading the manual that the sub-valves can be removed without removing the cylinder. (Right?) The manual also indicates that the cylinder MUST be removed inorder to remove the main valve. Is this so? Thanks.

Dazza

Jan 1, 2002
Sub valves can come out without cylinder removal.
Correct me if I am wrong but the cylinder has to come of to remove the main valve as it will interfear with the frame ie:not enough room.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
and probably clean them up

And probably replace the left hand one that is stripped.

Take the barrel off the bike -the time you save will be wasted dicking around with it in situ. Besides you want to have a good look at the piston & throw another ring in it anyway.

HUSKwKDX

Oct 4, 2001
Thanks for your answers guys.
I had a top-end done in last December and haven't really ridden that much. :( I'll blame the wife. ;) I checked my compression and it was ~173 psi. It's within the service limit in my manual. If, when looking up the exhaust and manipulating the "operating rod" manually and everything looks ok, can I assume there is no strippage?? If there is no room to remove the main valve, then I guess I'll pull the barrel. But I'm always interested in doing the least amount of work (being a civil servant and all). ;)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If, when looking up the exhaust and manipulating the "operating rod" manually and everything looks ok, can I assume there is no strippage?

Yes.

In which case....put your pipe back on a go for a ride!!

If it ain't broke..don't fix it. (well...or fix it til it is, then replace it with a better..more$$...part??)

gsuhm

Jun 11, 2002
I pulled mine off (after an admittedly long time between maintenance), and both left and right exhaust valves were stripped -- and the right one was also sheared at the top. That was a quick 70 bucks! The center valve was ok though. Definitely should be inspected and cleaned on a regular basis. They seem pretty fragile!

Dragonfly

May 8, 2002
Hey what is this thing you guys are talking about? Can you post the link to where I can investigate this part in more detail. (yes its a newbie question) but mine is a 92kdx200 and I bought it this spring and would like to go through all these parts during the winter to ensure the bikes conditons... thanks

HUSKwKDX

Oct 4, 2001
If I can get out of doing "Home Improvements" this weekend I will tear into the bike and check things out. Riding season starts in a few weeks, I need to get busy!! :aj:

Dragonfly-
The "thing" we are talking about is called the KIPS valve and is very well documented on Candadian Dave's Just KDX website. Click here. :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom