KIPS Main Valve..can't remove it

b1dude

Jul 5, 2004
Going through the top end of my bike today. Down to the final cleaning of the KIPS before reassembly.

Can't get the main valve assy out to save my life.

Lotso carbon in there...been soaking the cylinder in diesel and periodically pulling it out, hitting the main valve w/pen oil and jiggling it to death.

One broken dental pick later, lotso frustration, the main valve slider/holder still won't come out of the cylinder. It will come out about 1 cm then stick. Feels like metal on metal, but I think it's carbon.

Any good tips out there to get my main valves free fron the cylinder?

All pieces and parts of the KIPS assy are present and accounted for. Don't think there is some hidden set screw hiding inside the head somewhere...is there?

Help!...any is appreciated.

Thanks...Eric

b1dude

Jul 5, 2004
Brief update.

Clean your KIPS at least once a year. It's easy and could save you the pain I'm about to go through.

My exhaust valve assy was so carboned up it wouldn't come out of the cylinder....regardless of how long or how much or what chemical I tried. Even tried heating the valve w/a torch then soaking it warm in diesel/gas mixtures to get it free.

Somewhere in the midst of me trying to tap it out w/a small aluminum piece of stock (to minimize damage to the cylinder)the valve flapper snapped in two and jammed itself in the cylinder.

Needless to say, by the time I was able to mitigate the damage of the process the recess where the main valve is held is scarred up and I'll need to drop about $100 on a new main valve assembly ... AAAHHHHH!!!

Clean your KIPS!!

I'm convinced if I hadn't put this off for the last year and done it annually starting w/owning the bike I wouldn' t be here now.

Pictures to follow...

Eric

jenkikdx

May 22, 2007
I think I may have the same problem that you experienced. I pulled out the rod all the way, and can not get the Main Exhaust Valve out at all. What would you recommend?

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
"Easy-Off makes oven cleaning easier." and power valves too. There is also some Yamaha product I have never tried. Don't let the Easy-Off set for more than 10 or 15 minutes on aluminum, though. Rinse and repeat as needed.

jenkikdx

May 22, 2007
Well, even though my manual states to remove the KIPS assembly before taking the Cylinder off, I did it in the reverse order. After I had the Cylinder off, the KIPS stuff was pretty easy to remove. It really wasn't an issue of the Main Valve being stuck, just that it was tough to get to.

Actually, my KIPS Assembly was pretty clean. :cool:

Top Bottom