pete fry

Mar 9, 2004
Is there a simple way of finding out if the KIPS is working on my 1990 kdx200sr.I have not had the bike long so I will not notice riding it.I have the exhaust off at the moment and can see the KIPS.If it is not working can it be serviced and repaired without a top end stripdown? :flame:

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
KIPS is this thing working

I just re-did my 90 E2 model top end and had to work on the KIPS system.

There are 2 things you need to check,... get out your factory service manual (you do have one... right?)

Take off the right side kips cover, the arm that controls the kips valves comes from the crank area, peel that rubber bootie back to reveal an actuating arm. That screw you see is "reversed" threaded. Grab (support) the arm that goes in the clutch area with a pair of pliers to prevent it from turning, loosen that screw (remember it's reversed threaded)

ok.. push/pull that arm in and out of the cyl... is it moving free? look through the exhaust port, are they opening and closing? ??

If it is real stiff or stuck,.. you must dis-assemble, mine had bad teeth on the left exhaust valve. $36 part

yes?.. ok put it back together but leave the right kips cover off, that arm should open up about 6000 rpm i think.

was I clear?

motox

May 21, 2001
Another way to check is as follows: start bike, pull back the rubber piece covering the auctuating arm and watch it as you quickly twist throttle to get it over 5000 rpm. the arm will move away from the engine each time you rev it up if its working properly. this does not ensure the other pieces in the cylinder are working properly. They are suppose to open and close additional exaust ports. another thing you could do with taking the lid off is while the engine is at idle, use your finger to pull the auctuater arm out and see if you notice a differnce in engine idle. it will be very noticable. hope some of this helps

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom