Patrick

Mar 6, 2002
I have read many of the threads about noisy KDX's (rattles, knocks, etc.) but almost everyone mentions that the noise is heard at idle. I have a 2002 220 and it is quiet at idle but a loud rattle occurs at the mid to upper rpm level, especially when I let off the throttle. It started shortly after break-in and got louder. It is definitely not a clutch noise. I inspected the piston and cylinder - everything is fine. The loose play in the KIPS valve seems the most likely cause but is this common for new KDX's? Would cleaning the KIPS make a difference ?

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Is it like a ping.....ping, ping on trailing throttle? Mine does this, but I've never heard of anyone else's doing it. I'm pretty confident that its nothing to worry about, though. I used to ask tons of questions about it, but I've gotten used to it now. If you ever hear a KDX that isn't noisy, there's probably something wrong with it ;)

Patrick

Mar 6, 2002
It is a steady rattle that occurs at constant midrange rpm and at trailing throttle but it falls quiet at low rpm. I have noticed that I am running rich and wonder if the build-up on the valves makes them noisy.

svtrb

Aug 20, 2002
I also have a 2002 220 and have heard the exact same rattle. I assumed it was the KIPS valve working. It almost sounds like the motor is pinging. Hopefully someone will have a answer, but you are not alone.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Make sure its not just your pipe springs rattling. A KDX with the stock exhaust is so quiet that you tend to hear engine noises that you wouldn't with another bike. I remember my 200 made a weird whirring noise that freaked me out when I first had it. Never did blow up so I guess it was normal.

mmmbeergood

Jan 22, 2003
My 200 does the same thing, I hear it at Idle, and while moving it's not noticible untill I hit the powerband, esp. if I just downshifted. A Factory trained mechanic told me the valves need adjusting, but another mechanic (who owns a kdx 200) Said he's adjusted his valves, re-plated his cylinder, among other labor intensive measures to no avail. It's just loud.
If you find out anything, let us know.

Gordo

SliddinHard

Jan 21, 2003
Almost sounds like a problem with the tranny or a poorly adjusted four stroke at idle and through the lower power band. I think I’ve heard this reported from every single KDX owner. I have a 2002 KDX220R and wow is it loud. For the first few times ridding it I expected something to break but so far it hasn’t. Guess they just have a funny sound.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Loose play in the KIPS? Meaning you have some? There shouldn't be any (that based on the fact that my '00 200 doesn't have any).

If you remove the slotted cover on the LH side of the cylinder to access the main KIPS shaft, you should certainly be able to easily activate the KIPS with a wrench, but it's not some loosey-goosey sloppy kinda thing.

Certainly you should have enough carbon on the thing (after about 2 minutes of run time) that there shouldn't be 'looseness'.

If you 'inspected' the top end, I hope that included replaced the oem piston. You've read the horror stories of the stock 220 piston? I'd be much more concerned about that.

Maybe it's 'definitely' not coming from the clutch, still....run well over the spec 700ml in the trans. You can use the whole quart if you wish.

Other than that......the kdx is just noisy. NOT as noisy as a ktm coasting downhill with the engine OFF...but noisy.

Patrick

Mar 6, 2002
There is some play in the main valve (slide plate located just above exhaust port). I believe the main valve is creating the noise. I ordered a new Wiseco piston from FRP. When I install it, I'll clean the valves and have a bike mechanic check everything. I'll update this thread after I'm done in two weeks.

mmmbeergood

Jan 22, 2003
I just installed a new wiseco piston kit im my '98 200, cleaned the powervalves,(all 3 of them) but the main valves were so heavily coated with carbon that I had to chip some off before I could remove them, apparantly the previous owner had never cleaned them. But it was nothing a scratch awl, carb cleaner and a stiff wirerbrush over 1/2 hr couldn't cure. I checked for up and down play in the connecting rod, there was none, so I can rule out piston slap I used 2 cans of carb cleaner and a good 1/2 gallon of kerosene to make sure all parts of the jug were spotless. used 2-stroke oil to lube everything as I put it back together. She fired up on the 2nd kick (gotta push some fuel throught the carb ya' know), and runs stronger than when I first got her. gobs of bottom end, pleanty of powerband, and still the rattle.

Patrick

Mar 6, 2002
My assumption was correct. The part known as the "Flapper Valve" which is a part of the main valve is the cause of the noise. The Flapper Valve has the most play when it is about half way through its range of motion (from open to close). The rattle is caused by the up and down flutter at this point. Since other people seam to be hearing the same noise, I assume this is normal. I would like to hear from anyone else who hears this noise.

The carbon build-up on this part was surprising. I know I'm running rich, so I hope that the rejetting I did will reduce the build-up. I only had 300 miles on the bike, and I'm glad I took it apart to clean.

Patrick

Mar 6, 2002
Everything was cleaned and reassembled along with a new Wiseco piston, AND THE RATTLE IS GONE. Therefore, the noise was due to carbon build-up on the flapper valve. This explains why the noise was not present when the bike was new, and why the noise got louder as the carbon build-up got worse. The way I see it, the noise is just a reminder that its time to clean the top end.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I hope your right, my 2002 220 makes the same noise also. Just got use to it, thought that was just how the kdx's sound. I just put in a weisco piston and cleaned the kips, but haven't been able to ride it yet. Something to do with the 8 inches of snow last week and the 24 this weekend. Cabin fever is setting in!!!

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
davidg---mind if i come up and join u in all your snow--i've got a cat sled here at home waiting for snow ---oh just teasing to tided up right now just wish i had all that snow :)

barrie

Dec 24, 2003
my 98 200 rattles at idle then gets quieter as you rev it,its just had new piston kit and been replated,i think its got something to do with the middle powervalve,i have cleaned it all,but its made no differance,its an excellent bike so im just putting up with it.

browne

Feb 13, 2004
i have a kdx 1997 and it rattles too,i'm sure it"s the power valves.
when i had the head off i could move the valve a little when they were fully closed,I think thats what makes the noise.
Tony browne
wagga wagga
Australia

xtremekdx

Feb 21, 2004
I have the same problem with my 2002 kdx200. I get the noise only at idle. sounds like piston slap. I expected the noise to go away when I rebult my top end, but it didn't. have tried high octane and pump gas. have tried different premix oils. nothing helps.

xtremekdx

Feb 21, 2004
Another thought. has anyone tried indexing the kips valving for performance gain? would this make it open sooner or later? could this give more bottom or top end? just a thought.

kdxman15

Aug 21, 2003
i listened to a kdx with 8 hours on it and it has rattled since new and it sounds exactly the same as my kdxs rattle.i think its just a sound they make.also i have just put new piston kit in and cleaned valves witch wernt very dirty.

oft

May 28, 2005
new 2005 kdx 200 clatter

My brand new bike clatters and clanks something horrible. My first thought was piston slap. Time on the bike is only 30 minutes. It is more noticable at lower rpms , at higher revs there is enough other noise to cover it up. Others have posted complaints, I am not alone, what gives ?

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
canyncarvr said:
run well over the spec 700ml in the trans. You can use the whole quart if you wish.

So running more is better and won't hurt anything?

Top Bottom