KIPS subvalves and manual error

McRider

Jan 25, 2000
My service manual is incorrect, according to the tech tips, regarding the left/right orentation of the sub valves. When I checked the bike by looking in the exhaust port, the valves were open instead of closed as they are supposed to be. However, upon removing the head, I could not extract the sub valves. I believe the shafts that rotate the sub valves have to be removed first, which would require cylinder removal. I did find that I could lift the subvalves part way out, rotate them, and re-insert them so they are closed when viewed through the exhaust port. Rotating the centrifugal actuating shaft causes the valves to open, which is what they are supposed to do. So, have I solved the problem without swapping the subvalves? And isn't this an easier solution?

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
probably. I haven't ever tried putting them in incorrectly, and then trying to fix it. On the top of the sub-valve teeth should be a punch mark for correct alignment. I would imagine that rotating as you've described could well fix the problem, but the alignment marks would be out. If the subvalves were installed on the correct side, the alignment marks would be correct. Still, the end justifies the means...

Andrew

Top Bottom