mdecesari

Nov 14, 2001
I removed the inspection cap and saw that my KIPS valve was not opening. Can the KIPS valves not open because they are stuck or is it usually because some part is striped or broken. I have two KDX-200s and one is clean and works correctly. I plan on pulling off the top end and clean the valves. I will check the advancer shaft so see if it is broken. The valves look black and have a sticky black tar in the valves so I know that they need cleaning, but I was just wondering if the exhaust advance assembly provided enough torque to break other parts if the valves get sticky due to lack of cleaning. The bike is a 1995 with very few hours on it but jetted way too rich for the few hours it had (165 main jet?)

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Before I got into my '91, the stock jetting and airbox prevented it from exceeding 6krpm, thus the pv's never opened under test. Given the main jet you indicate, perhaps your jetting is the culprit...

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
A common problem with the KDX 200 KIPS system is the governor shaft will snap inside the clutch side engine case if the valves are alowed to get gummed up and sticky. When this happens, the broken shaft can fall into the tranny, and cause all sorts of damage. Pull the acctuator arm cover off and move it with your hand. If the shaft coming from the engine case moves freely, with no resistance, you probably have a broken shaft. Don't ride until you fix this!

mdecesari

Nov 14, 2001
The power valve moves a little bit, about 1/8 of a turn. So I think the governor shaft is not broken, but I will check. I jetted the bike to a 155 main and a 40 pilot. It runs much better. I ordered a new top end gasket kit and will clean the power valves and check for other striped or broken parts. I also checked prices a Treasure Coast Honda-Kawasaki via E-mail. They are the lowest I could find.

mdecesari

Nov 14, 2001
I pulled the actuator arm cover and the shaft springs back when twisted so I don't think the shaft is broken. Just not Enough force to move the power valvles. So I will pull the top end and clean the valves. The bike does make a high pitched sound when in neutral and I rev the motor to check if the power valve is opening. When I put the bike in gear the sound goes away. When the bike makes the screching noise the the chain tightens and rattles when in neutral. Could I have a broken part of the mechanism that turns the actuator rod?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom