98dicksonm

Aug 5, 2002
i purchesed a 97 kdx 200 at the begining of this year and dont know if the previous owner ever replaced rings/piston so just wondering if i should take a look at the kips valve and clean it right out or leave it till i replace the rings in the near future

91kdxrider

Aug 19, 2002
Anytime you have the chance to clean the valves out it's a good thing, at the same time you can look at your piston and ring to see there condition. It's definetly a good idea to do so, if you just got the bike and haven't done anything to it then yeah.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'..near future'?

If you aren't replacing the top end now, you can check the KIPS to see if it is working correctly.

1. Take off the pipe.
2. Take off the slotted cover from the LH side to uncover the KIPS main shaft.
3. Put a socket on the main shaft nut, activate the KIPS assy while looking into the exhaust port.

You should see the main valve raise as you move the main shaft. Also you should see the two sub-valves on either side of the main valve rotate in the same fashion.

'Same fashion' meaning when the KIPS is at rest, both sub-valves will appear positioned the same in relation to the cylinder...they will move in opposite directions when the main shaft is rotated and in a fully opened position, will again appear the same in relation to the cylinder.

The Helmholtz resonator is 'open' during low speed operation, the sub-exhaust ports are 'closed' to the main exhaust port. During high speed operation (KIPS fully activated), the resonator is 'closed' and the sub-exhaust ports are 'open' to the main port.

I realize you didn't ask a thing about determining if the KIPS is working or not...just cleaning it. Well...if it's working OK..then don't worry about cleaning it until you do the top end.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom