GREENday

Sep 2, 2003
I just recently bought my first four stroke and I'm having problems. The bike is a Kawasaki KLX-300. It is a 2001, has a Stroker pipe and a Mikuno pumper carb. THe problem is that everytime I stall the bike (yes, I do sometimes stall the bike!), it won't start for about 15 minutes. It acts like it is flooded. I noticed that it will start sooner if the bike isn't very hot. I have had the carb torn down and cleaned (I'm not very mechanically inclined), but it still happens. As a matter of fact, it seems to happen around 8-10 miles into a loop. If it stalls before then, it starts again. I have my KDX for sale, but I think I may keep it until I get this resolved. HELP!

darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
I used to have one of those. Get a hot start and make sure your valves are adjusted properly. And whatever you do, don't touch the throttle while you're trying to start it. The pumper carb will flood the engine in an instant. If you think it's flooded, open the hot start and hold it wide open while you're kicking it.

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Hard starting, assuming everything else is in working order, may be a result of a lean pilot circuit. Quick test: get the bike started and see how adjustable the fuel screw is ? More than 3 turns and no change ? Is the Carby the TM33 or other, let me know. Try raising the idle and see if that helps.

drBill

Dec 2, 2001
Turn up the idle, Don't touch the throttle, HOT START! (IMO essential for a pumper), and do yourself a favor and get the ACR mod or an '03 cam. Much easier to kick over and may save you a costly repair of a failed idler gear. There's nothing wrong with your 4s. That's just the way they are. After you get used to it, all this will seem like a distant memory as you'll be starting it with ease.

Top Bottom