Mark16q

Apr 20, 2001
I know this has been covered here in the past, but am looking for some comfort with the noise my motor is making. Only have about an hour on the engine, but it clacks at low rpm really badly. Once it is revving, seems fine, but when accelerating from a turn, or just putting around, the thing sounds like someone is throwing rocks at it. There is plenty of usable power when it is making the noise, and it doesn't sound like pinging. Just a nasty metal on metal clacking. The shop swore to me that the noise level is normal, but I feel like I'm breaking the motor at lower rev's.
btw, the bike is a Ca spec, with the new needle and pilot adjustments done by the shop (no butt plug). It pulls very strong and clean throughout. Still air cleaner cover in place, as they (the shop) said to leave it alone. It may go faster without it, but plenty fast for now.

Do I just need a louder exhaust or ear plugs too enjoy the torque this motor has. can't help but feel like damage is going on when riding at lower rev's. Not lugging it, but not pushing it too hard either.

Thanks,

Mark

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
Mark,

If the clacking noise is power-related (that is, it increases with throttle), it is probably piston slap. KLX300s are known to emit a mild piston slap sound when powering on at lower revs. It is perfectly normal.

If the sound is not related to power, it could be caused by a loose timing chain. I have heard earlier KLX250s make this sound prior to the auto adjuster taking up the timing chain slack. I have not heard a KLX300 with a loose timing chain however.

Get your dealer to show you another used KLX running so you can compare sound intensity against a reference.

Last edited:

Mark16q

Apr 20, 2001
Humai,

The noise decreases (seemingly disappears) with increasing rev's. Good idea to go listen to another one. There is always comfort in knowing they all do it. Just want to ride, and learn to ignore the noise.

Thanks,

Mark

Uechi45

Dec 11, 2000
My '99 clacks all day long. Sounds like a bunch of chickens having a fight. From what I understand it is normal. I have 650 miles on the bike with no problems.

Ride on!!!!:cool:

Mark16q

Apr 20, 2001
Thank you for the input. Hoping it was normal, and good to have unbiased opinions. The shop told me it was normal; guess I'll learn to trust them more. They seem like good folks there.

You know, maybe that's why they called it the KLX....clacks! And I thought it was for Kleenex

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
When I had first bought my 97 KLX300 (new), I too noticed a clacking sound coming from the front of the engine. It bothered me enough to take my bike to Hesperia to LR's shop Stroker. His mechanic replaced the timing chain spings, adjusted the valves, and LR actually took the time to ride my bike up & down the street listening to it ( no kidding ). Even after that the engine still made noise. LR happened to have his 365 in the back of his truck, and offered to compare the two. He even let me ride his bike (no doubt since I mentioned interest in the 365 kit). His bike made a similar noise, but not quite as loud. I ended up leaving the shop empty handed (besides the experience), only to find on my next ride the engine made noise. Imagine my disappointment after all the $$ I spent.

After another 300-500 miles, the noise is gone. Not sure what the explanation is, just thought I'd reply since this is a big mystery with the KLX it seems like. I suspect the engine needed alot of breaking in, I think I had only 400-500 miles on it at the time.

matt

Last edited:
Top Bottom