Knarly Technical Single Trac Riding

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
Anyone here ride real knarly technical single track type trails?
The sort of trails with many log crossings, steep rocky climbs, too tight for high speed. Have you ever sat on your bike in the bottom of a steep tree sloped gulley, where you look up and wonder how you are going to get out of there? There is no trail out, because you made your own on the way down, the trees were so thick you literally had to push your bike down hill to get there. Riding up rock faced slopes, where you find yourseld thinking "wow this would be a great hike for the local scout troops".

I find myself on these trails more often than not lately. My CR250 is great. I am learing that it's all about keeping your momentum up when climbing major obstacles like rock faces and downed trees. Clutch abuse is mandatory. I was on a ride like this last night, I am sore all over. There were a few times when it was all I could muster of my remaining strenght to lift my bike back up from a fall.

What sort of tips do any of you have when riding these types of trails? And don't say stay off these trails... :) It's a real skill to conquer these trails. I have a lot to learn. We don't race however we feel like we just won a national motocross title when we make it to the top.

Thnks for any input. Keith

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Look at a trials tire. Michelin X11 is a good one for slow technical stuff but you must either carry a tube or run Tire Balls as you can not ride them flat. Consider IRC too.

Look at Mitas if you ride a more mixed terrain or have a heavier bike as the side wall is not as tall and they don't walk sideways as much.

The Michelin and IRC are a bit dodgy at speed, Mitas less so.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
For this type of riding I suggest an E-start :) , I also think 4 strokes have a little better lugging ability for this. My bike lugs through the trees, roots, and rocks yet then when it's pointed up has the power needed to go vertical :aj:

Saves a lot of energy not having to kick start everytime you kill it!!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
It's all about smooth power delivery and suspension.

The e-line lighting coil really helps a bike hook up. Supposedly even better than a flywheel weight because the magnets smooth out the power. Great performance improvement for nasty trails.

Less high speed compression damping is good for rocks & roots.

I find a steering damper helps you stay in control on a brutal, technical climb.

An adjustable clutch is a nice addition that will allow you to take out a little of the slop in the clutch after a bout of abuse.

2nd gear and clutch abuse is usually better than 1st gear. If you have to drop down to first (not uncommon with a MX gear box), commit to it, as hesitation will kill your momentum.

On a bad climb or obstacle, if you have to choose between good form or keeping momentum, choose momentum.

Picking your bike up and trying again burns energy like a wildfire. So choose your line carefully.

Do not target fixate - Look past the problem area.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I've been riding a lot of gnarly stuff this past summer. My advice is practice, practice, practice! Nothing beats time on the bike. My bike doesn't make the greatest low end so I try to keep momentum up (which because I'm out of shape doesn't seem to happen) so then it's all about clutch control and weight distribution. I tend to keep my butt on the back portion of the seat to force the rear tire to get some traction then feather the clutch as necessary to keep from spinning out. Another good idea is to ride with better riders, you learn a lot following a faster/better rider (if you can keep him in sight). I also run heavy duty tubes with 6 ply tires so I can lower the pressure. Lastly, I suggest having a strong riding buddy to help you pull the bike up the really gnasty stuff when all else fails (had to do this a time or two, my buddy rides a CRF450R that goes up the hills like nothing).

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
take a 4 day weekend or longer to this place :cool: http://www.windrockatv.com/

after this youll swear you can ride a harley through most anything else.......not a joke. there are hillclimbs so gnarly there that the climate changes :aj: rocks, mud, river crossings ,logs ,stumps.

you better be in shape, its bootcamp on bikes. 72000 acres with 400+ miles of marked trails. get comfy on the medium rated then go for difficult , some are possible on a regular bike, extreme rated trails are for pro rock crawlers and possibly trials bikes i imagine

biker nirvana :nod:

bud

Jun 29, 1999
I ride this stuff almost exclusively. Speedymaniac is on the money. Tons of practice and riding with and observing better riders. Much more useful than specific tips such as "go faster". Your local bike club may have guys who have tons of experience and or skill and is a good place to start. Trials tires... Personally I think they suck arse. Ditto IRC M5b's which I know many ppl swear by. They may work for you. They certainly don't work for me.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'll cast a vote for trials tires as well. At least in their proper application they are awesome. I wouldn't suggest them in deep sand or bottomless mud but on wet or dry rock, mud with some kind of bottom to it and hard or loose soil (not a tilled up MX track) they are awesome. Learning how to use them takes a little thought because unlike a traditional knobbie they wrap and grab the surface with their soft compound and flexible case with low pressure (as in 3-5psi in a trials situation).

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
i ride a cr on trails and the situations you describe are not this bikes strong suit. momentum is your very best friend in uphill situations. as you already know, if you slow/stop, it is very difficult to get going again. i dont know how tall/heavy you are but on your way up a difficult hill, keep weight on the rear tire. in my case, i have to take my feet off the pegs to get the most weight on the rear. do not put your feet on the ground. this immediately unloads the rear and causes wheelspin. this doesnt mean do not dab your foot once in awhile to maintain balance/direction. they say flywheel weights help with power management but i havent tried one yet.

sprocket74

Jan 14, 2005
I live in the Kamloops area as well and live for this type of riding. First and most important to me is look ahead and plan your route though the nasty stuff, then keep up your momentum, I keep the gas on until the the tires are in the air. On my bike I have also installed a nylon pull strap on the front end the goes from fork to fork for those really tough sections where a buddy has to help you pull your bike out.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Single track trails? Anything else is for road bikes! I think practicing trials type riding greatly helps with all other types of riding. Slow, technical type riding, that requires really good balance and bike control is key. Speed just naturally follows ability.

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
What little amount of hill climbing I've done.....momentum and weight above the rear tire seem to be the key. For REAL steep hills...I sit right above the rear tire and lay on the seat while shifting my weight as necessary(if I need more traction..i basically do a push-up on the bars to get my weight more to the back)...with my feet off the pegs...looks funny but works great!haha My two buddies and I ended up on some REAL dicey trails that made us stop and say to each other "think we can do it?"haha
Matt

Top Bottom