Knee braces and lower leg injuries

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
I'm nearly fully recovered from a shattered tib/fib, but I'm keeping a 10-inch plate and ten screws in my shin. I'm considering knee braces, but I'm concerned that the restricted range of motion could put more stress on my compromised lower leg in the event of a crash. Can anyone give me some insights? I'd rather go through knee surgery than spend another nine months on crutches. :think:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
In your case I might reconsider, but generally, I'd rather break a bone than blow out a knee. It might only be one month on crutches, but it's 6 months off the bike, and the rest of your life dealing with weird knee issues. All minor, but annoying. I've had two ACL recons and they're not fun. I have arthritis at age 25 from extensive cartilage damage; I have limited mobility in one leg; I have big numb spots on the other; I can't kneel comfortably and if I get lazy about working out, I get stiff. I won't ride without braces.

But if I were you, I'd ask your doctor. Problem with metal stuff in legs is it can break. :yikes:

pbook

Nov 26, 2003
i agree with firecracker22 avoid knee surgery if you can,took over a year for my knee to get near normal after acl reconstruction,still not the same now,wish i had bought my cells a few years earlier

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Thanks for the insights guys. I'd have to say that recovering from a spiral tib/fib fracture is no picnic either. Two years after surgery it's still sore and I have limited range of motion in my ankle. It was well over a year before I could walk without a cane. My last X-ray showed signs of Osteo Perosis, a major bummer for someone in their 30s. With all the hardware in my shin, another break could easily result in me losing my lower leg. I'm hesitant to strap on a pair of Asterisks for fear that the added knee support could transfer forces to my lower leg. When you fall wearing Asterisks, does it ever feel like they are restricting your ability react naturally?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I would definitely say they don't hamper my ability to catch myself or anything like that. I fell last year when I slid off a bridge. I put my foot out to save myself on a stump, and ended up with a handlebar in my knee. That brace was the only thing that kept me from hyperextending my knee. Any other time I've fallen, I guess I've landed as naturally as possible. Keep in mind the braces will not only protect you from hyperextension or injuries from the knee bowing outward, but also from being crushed or bruised by rocks, trees, other bikes, the ground, whatever.

With your specific injures, I'd DEFINITELY ask your doctor first what he thinks about the brace. If there is some reason to avoid an Asterisk, there are lots of other braces out there.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I will take broken bones to a torn up knee anytime. I have gone through both. Broken bones are completely healed, but the knee is gone. The knee injury was 23 years ago, and I am looking at a knee replacement in the future. I have arthritis and constant pain in the knee. Please protect your knees with braces, amd a healthy dose of common sense. Possibly using a brace that flexes a bit might work for you. I second the idea of checking with your doctor. The trick is to be able to ride, and still be able to walk when your done. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

phirechick

Sponsoring Member
Jul 3, 2001
I've gone around and around with several orthos on knee braces. Both agree not to wear braces but to strengthen your muscles around your knees. They both do agree to a good set of knee guards though. Not sure which way to go with my little guy who still has good knees. I still don't wear my CTI and I've had 3 ACL's, complete medial and anterior tears, from softball.

Top Bottom