moto2121

Mar 2, 2004
Hi everyone, I got a question about my knee

First off I am 22 yrs old and have been riding for the last 11 yrs.Last spring I was kicked in my knee at work(I take care of retards) I ended up with a torn ACL and a torn Miniscus(can't spell sorry), I had a ACL reconstruction in October and the Dr is trying to tell me not to ride anymore along with my parents and wife because they are concerned that I will screw my knee up again. I have tried to explan to them that riding is the one thing in life that I really injoy and that I will ride till I die!!!

Anyway I bought a 2004 cr250 last spring and got maybe 10hrs of ride time on it before all this :bang: and would really like to be able to ride it without worrying about my damn knee so my thought is buy a knee brace, but what brace??? I want one that will fit good and stay put while I ride, also need one that will keep my knee protected cause there is no way in hell I want to go through another ACL reconstruction.

I ride mostly trails but do like to race a few scrambles here and there, I also like to goof around on a motocross track from time to time.

So what knee brace should I be looking at?????

moto2121

Mar 2, 2004
no one here has had a torn ACL or know anyone who has that rides. I am looking for some feed back because knee braces are not cheap and i don't want to make the wrong choice. i have read feedback in the mags and stuff but i was hoping to get some real world feedback....

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002

Jrod1994

Nov 22, 2004
Our son broke his femur in nov and didnt have on a knee brace.Our docs said if he had been wearing one he could of really messed up his knee and that this break will heal faster than a knee injury.Weve heard of so many knee injurys and they were wearing kneebraces.We dont believe in them.We had every inch of protection on our son except the knee brace and truly believe that saved him from more injurys.Its a touchy subject,you either totally believe in them or you totally dont.There is no in between.With you already having a knee injury,I dont know what to tell you except be careful and do some research.Whatever it takes to make you feel safe riding.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
moto2121 said:
no one here has had a torn ACL or know anyone who has that rides.

Plenty here have but maybe they were thrown off by the "retard" comment? Being as you work with them you think you'd have alittle more respect towards them. :think:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I missed that "retard" comment when I replied... :|

OTHG_DAVE_858

Feb 18, 2005
Wear the brace and make sure you follow all the docs instructions on rehab. I didn't, now an xray of my knee looks like a cave with all the stalagmites hanging from the ceiling. I guess the 15 years since the surgery hasn't helped any either. Lots of excersize to keep the muscles surrounding the knee will help also. Good Luck and Roost On.

fmfracing212

Mar 23, 2005
im only 15 and i had acl and meniscus surgery about 8 weeks ago. I have been riding a little lately not too much really,i went to physical therapy all the way up until about a week ago,that helped a lot. My doctor told me not to ride but i was functioning without an acl for 3 years so i think i can make it work a little easier with an acl. I dont know i just think you should strenthen up your leg muscles and you should be good to go

ProjectBoy

Feb 20, 2001
I had a ACL Reconstruction

Well ive been through it all. I tore my ACL on a stupid wheelie on my first dirtbike at 21 yrs young in the asphalt street on the Friday night before a three day weekend. The pain and agony that went with my first arthroscopic surgery went on forever. I fought with my insurance company Aetna for what seemed like a lifetime until they finally agreed to pay for an MRI which proved why i had been having such problems with my knee even after they found a bucket handle tear in my meniscus and a torn ACL. After 8 weeks of rehab and missed work and lots of time to think, i knew that riding bikes was something worth it for me to continue doing.
Im now 32 and just underwent another arthroscopic knee surgery on my same left knee. I just bought a brand new 2005 KTM 450 EXC and had our first child, a little girl in August of 2004. After just spending a week off work, i returned to work today, having had yet more time off to think long a hard about returning to a sport i love. Despite the my wife and family, i know i will ride again. Since my ACL in 1996 reconstruction i bought a pair of Asterisk braces for left and right. I wear them religously. I tighten them up and set the degrees to a nearly bent position. They give me the confidence i need when im out there taking a beating on some rocky, gnarly riverbed or a cliffside singletrack. I know my knee will never be the same, but i ride alot smarter know and always push the limmits ,but with much more caution than before.

tim mask

tim mask
~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 2003
Torn ACL

In January 05, I had a new ACL put in. I was out of work for about 6 weeks. I did all of my Therapy visits. Blue Cross and Blue Shield paid all but $51.00 of my DonJoy Brace price. I think that charge was a little over $1250.00 The sales rep met me at my Therapy office and measured my leg for the custom fit brace. I have ridden 1 Enduro and 3 other trail rides with it. Everything so far is going very well. I will wear this brace everytime I get on my bike. :aj: Tim Mask

TriniG

Feb 5, 2002
I have a partial tear in my right ACL that I have had for nearly 3 yrs. I wear an EVS Sports brace that cost about $120. It has saved me a few times in difficult trails. Then I injured my left knee, without a brace. A few weeks later I was practicing MX and wearing two knee braces. Coming down off a hard jump my left knee collapsed (with brace) and I popped the ACL completely. I think it would have been worse without the brace. The Doctor said that ACL recontruction would be expensive (using the Cadaveral replacement) and perhaps we should hold off on surgery, build up the muscle strength and see it that is enough for normal day to day use. ACL provides stability, good muscle strength will do the same. If I was a professional sportsman he would have recommended the surgery right away. So I will continue to ride trails, can't motocross, will always wear a brace. Perhaps invest in better braces. EVS has some top of the line ones for $345 ea.

moto2121

Mar 2, 2004
Thanks for the feedback guys and sorry for the "retard" comment I was still very upset at the time and had lost my job due to the injury.

Top Bottom