jssport

Feb 20, 2003
Are there any tools that can cut cut knobs on a tire to put a fresh sharp edge on it? I think I'd save a lot of money extending their life span.

I know flattrackers use a metal shear like device to dig into the tire and roadracers also use it to put some tread on the sidewalls of slicks to come up with an intermediate tire.

But for dirt bikes I think we'd need some sort of electric hot wire device to cut.

Any ideas?

JimS

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
you could take off your tire and rotate it.. So the non rounded edge would be facing the rite way..

that would be some extra work.. But you could always just use a razor blade.. It takes a alot of work.. but its woth it once its done..

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
oh... I do rotate my tires, I'm just cheap and hate having to purchase new ones when there is a lot of good rubber left.

I'm a pretty good mechanic but a little scared of using a razor blade that hard, I keep imagining bloody fingers.

I got my 4in grinder out this afternoon and did a couple of knobs, that kinda works but I can't help thinking there must be a better way.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The old flat track guys and hill climbers used to use hot knives, it's like a soldering iron with a knife edge. One old timer offered me one and I'm kicking myself for not taking it.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
A tire groover can do what you need. Lots of off road truck/Jeep guys use them to custom cut tires.

I've had some luck using a hacksaw with a coarse blade to freshen an edge for that "one last weekend" of tire life.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom