Bill M

Feb 19, 2004
Placed a deposit on a 105 back in November. Dealer says they are to be shipped mid March or early April.....If anyone has one on order and it arrives, could you post a note of the bikes arrival so that I can guage to some extent, when my son's bike might arrive assuming they ship around the same date. We live in Virginia and found the bike in West Virginia.

Secondly, does anyone have any suggestions for tuning it for the woods? My son is 11 and 165#. Wants to do a GNCC big wheel event this summer. We ride in the area where the Blackwater 100 was held (until the greenies got what they wanted)..........

humdinger251

Jan 26, 2004
The KTM 85 is full of problems. I live in NC and a friend of ours who races with us bought his kid one and had nothing but trouble. It was an 04 and the first time it was rode the power valve seal started leaking oil and it went back to the dealer. The next time it was rode the front shocks started leaking oil and it went back to the dealer for repair. The next time it was rode the power valve seal leaked again and the rear brakes failed, All this with less than 6 hours use. so it went back to the dealer for a full refund. They bought a Kawasaki 85 and are free of problems now with over 800 bucks still in their pocket. I'm not trying to shoot down KTM, The 85 and 105 are darn good looking bikes. It has a full size air filter with no tools needed to access it. Good looking brakes, shocks, pipe, handelbars. They appear to be the ultimate mini weapon and I would want one for my kid without the problems.

arrow101

Feb 23, 2004
there is a swag of KTM 85's here in Oz I know of 4 in my small town. Yes their not without a few problems as Humdinger says he's not out to bag them. Im the same all the ones here in Oz were recalled for new crank assemblys and there is a few that have cracked radiators all at which have been replaced under warrenty. I think these bikes may have a few little problems but its the first time they have ever been made so it is to be expected realy.
KTM will work on them through the year and design a faultless bike.
No I dont work for KTM i actually personaly dont like KTM's just think they will take a year to sort out the 85's to the full potential but I am impressed with how they are handling the problems with them here in Australia

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
Biggest item is to have the suspension setup for offroad use and install a set of barkbusters. Then adjust the gearing to his style and track conditions. Frame guards, skid plates, etc... can be added if you wish, but are not necessary.

We are waiting till '05 to possibly get back on a KTM. Let KTM sort out the problems this year. With an adjustable power valve and interchangable cylinder head domes, you can really adjust the motor for the power output you desire. Plus having a 105 motor stock really sames on having to buy an 85 and making it into a 105.

Top Bottom